Unfortunate ice fishing accident example

Man that's horrible, the part that puzzles me is the other fisherman sat and watched as he tried to save his son? WTF man they both could have saved the kid or both. I can't even fathom the thought of loosing one of my daughters!!! Yet say you watched them struggle to the end, I would have done as much as I could to help. Terrible!!

Every place I ever fished on the ice there was a tree standing somewhere with long branches laying all over to at least try to help. Most people have rope in their vehicle or a chain something, anything !!!

Yeah I have gotten to the point when I go out I packed a 50' rope. I can put anything heavy on it to get the distance I need. Get the people in front of a buddy heater stripped down and they will warm up pretty quick. Also I carry an extra set of clothes in my truck in case I or someone I am with goes thru the ice.

If they got swept under then there was nothing anyone could do. It is very sad to hear something like this. I don't know what I would do if my son fell thru. In any case if my kid was that young no matter how thick the ice I would tether him to me in case something did happen, I could just grab the rope and haul him out and to the truck to get warm. Leave my stuff on the ice and get it later after the hospital visit.

Edited by Chas0218

One of the most productive things regarding self preservation is to buy a suit that offers flotation (e.g. Ice Armour,Mustang etc.) so that you don't go under the ice. That is the first thing I did for my son and I after my encounter in 2004 where I had a snowmobile suit and moon boots on and was all by myself out there at 6:45 AM (like an idiot) and went through in 5 ft of water several hundred yards from shore. The first objective should be related to staying on top of the water then all the other stuff comes into play. It doesn't protect you from hypothermia but it at least gives you a chance to get your butt out of there. If you go under you have no such chance.

Edited by Sk8man

If I ever get back into ice fishing I think the first thing I would buy is those ice pick things that you can pull yourself out with or at least hang on till someone helps, hopefully those guys that watched aren't next to me!!

Although the ice pick things could be helpful in a specific situation helping you to stay next to the edge for example but remaining above the water and ice is the critical thing and if in deep water you may be underneath immediately without warning and not come right up near the hole (currents etc.). In my view the safest thing is still the float suit because it prevents you from going under in the first place and allows you to turn on your back on the surface and paddle to and across the edge of the ice. I hate to admit it but this opinion is based on going in the water both with and without one.

Yes, you can get a float coat for under $300. My mustang has a clip in the pocket for the tether on the ice picks. They are very warm with the life jacket sewed in. Get the next size bigger if you are at the edge of a size. My only complaint is the tightness of the elastic around the waist. You stand up from a squat, it's around your belly button like a brand new carhartt. It's got float in the sleeves also to help. Flexible though, not like stovepipes. Definitely better than having no chance of living. Maybe I'll go to the community pool and relate the benefit of the coat as I haven't got it wet as of yet. Get one and wear it guys.

This is unfortunate.  I, as well of the rest of my gang ice fish alot.  There have been times when we got there before day break and got out to our spots and when leaving had to walk in water for the last 3 feet because the snow melting caused the shore to break off as well as times when you could literally see one of your buddies sitting on a bucket and the water running towards the hole he was jigging in.  Not Cool.  With that being said, I have always been super anal about safety.  I do not own a floating suit, nor do I take an inflatable.  We do carry a long bright yellow rope with a float and a weight, ice pics and usually some other flotation device as well as a couple of towels (since we always have a flip over or two with and we all have buddy heaters).  The weight is essential to throw the rope and the bright colored rope allows you to see it if you fall in and find yourself under the ice and cant find your way out.  safety is my number one concern on the ice, I always tell my buddies if i ever go through you might as well split my gear up right then and there because i'm done.  The other thing that comes to mind is there are usually signs when the ice is starting to deteriorate and dont take any unnecessary chances just to catch a few gills/perch.  My first time fishing here was 3 weeks ago and we had a good 5 inches of clear ice (best ice you can have/no snow).  We fished the same place last week and this weekend and now have 9 inches but the warm temps and rain we are having today as well as a 50 degree day tomorrow are going to wreak havoc on the ice and my plans for going this weekend are most likely going to be suspended indefinitely.  Its a shame to break out all of the gear for 3 weeks, but that's why i fish so much when we do have good ice.  You need to take advantage of it while its in its finest form.  

Another option is the Arctic Armor https://www.idigear.com/idi-gear-about which is what my son and I have. They are extremely comfortable, exceptionally warm, durable, waterproof, windproof and contain a waterproof filler that is bouyant  called Insultex. It is the warmest suit I've ever owned. I think mine ran about $400 which wasn't cheap but what it your life worth? We've had our suits for about 9 years already and they are still in good condition. One of the things to consider is whether or not you wish to get the PLUS suit that has a soft fuzzy liner that although comfortable and very warm it seems to catch on your clothing putting it on over your other clothes....minor thing but worth mentioning. It is the one I have and despite the minor annoyance putting it on and off the warmth/comfort factor overrides this. We also had the "opportunity" :lol:  to "test" them out and they work very well.

Edited by Sk8man

Chas brings up a good point....it isn't "sissy stuff" to wear a life jacket out there either just good common sense and a good use for something most of us already have available.

Edited by Sk8man

I don't ice fish but I do fish in cold weather when I can find open water and I have fallen in twice and I credit that life vest for saving me both times.  Spend 40-50 dollars on an XXL (to go over your winter coat) fishing vest/PFD combo and you can have all your essential gear on you at all times and pretty soon you forget that it is even a life vest too.

I love to fish but have yet to catch one worth dieing for.  Be safe.

Another great point. For years I have carried a float with rope in my sled with the purpose of potentially helping others and in my clam I have a boat cushion with a rope attached for the same purpose.

post-145411-0-75304200-1454598228_thumb.jpg