Simrad AP

Rich D

Ok, time to purchase an AP, I am looking at the Simrad AP 24, or 28. I am looking for good or bad experiences with either of these units. I have Hyd steering, with the kicker plumbed into the Hyd system, so kicker and rudders turn together. Thank You.

Capt Rich

My old boat has a Simrad, it never missed a beat., even at .8 mph for walleyes, my new boat has a Raymarine and I absolutely HATE it .. Just a total pain in the but, you have to be over 5 mph to engage and it kicks out below 2.2 mph, one heavy gust of wind and you have to speed back up to 5 mph to have it re-engage .....sucks, sucks, sucks !!!!!!

Ok, time to purchase an AP, I am looking at the Simrad AP 24, or 28. I am looking for good or bad experiences with either of these units. I have Hyd steering, with the kicker plumbed into the Hyd system, so kicker and rudders turn together. Thank You.

Capt Rich

Either will do a good job for you Rich. There is a AP24 running on a boat just down the way from your dock running the exact kicker & steering set-up you have.

My old boat has a Simrad, it never missed a beat., even at .8 mph for walleyes, my new boat has a Raymarine and I absolutely HATE it .. Just a total pain in the but, you have to be over 5 mph to engage and it kicks out below 2.2 mph, one heavy gust of wind and you have to speed back up to 5 mph to have it re-engage .....sucks, sucks, sucks !!!!!!

Which autopilot do you have?