ethanol free gas

BSmaster

Just got back from the small engine repair shop.  Big bill to get two of my trimmer's carb's rebuilt.  The culprit - ethanol.  I said that can't be since I only "buy" premium ethanol free gas.  They asked me where do I get it and I replied fast trac.  They asked me if I pumped the first two gallons into my car.  I said no and they promptly tell me that it is a shared line so my first 1.5 -2 gallons of gas is whatever was pumped before me and directed me to a Sunoco with a dedicated line.  I am pissed because I buy small amounts for my small engines and now I find out that I pay for one thing and get another which hits my wallet on the back end too.  I know this isn't ethical but is it even legal?

THE MORAL

look for a designated line or pump the first two gallons into your vehicle.  Rebuilt carbs are expensive.

Holy crap, who would of thought you weren't getting what ya paid for, and the ultimate kick in rear is your no more ahead of the game than if you paid less for the corn juice. That's F'd up man!!!

Holy crap, who would of thought you weren't getting what ya paid for, and the ultimate kick in rear is your no more ahead of the game than if you paid less for the corn juice. That's F'd up man!!!

Yes,and the next guy to use the pump gets your expensive gas

I always wondered how much was in the piping of the pump and fill hose. I treat all my gas with startron and have not had a problem using gas with ethenol as long as I am religious with treatment

Edited by dawg

Ok reality check: This is the volume of a 10 foot by 1 inch hose

V = 3.14 × 0.5 in × 0.5 in × 120 in =94.2 cubic inch. that makes about 0.4 gallons. Not 1.5 to 2 gallons.

Ask any fire fighter to do the math for you and they will come up with these numbers.

Edited by rolmops

Bottom line is if you have a gallon can and a lot of people do, so they can mix those little bottles of oil (1.4oz) there's a quart of ethanol in that can which contaminates that whole gallon, which over the season your carb and spark plug and if it's a 2 cycle the alcohol cuts the oil creating more problems, ask any snowmobile repair shop. They now stock Pistons. Nobody wins in this situation. Other than the repair shop!! Right Joe??? Just because someone wanted to save a few$$$$ after this they will lose more than a extra pipe, hose and a few couplers would have cost to do it right from the start 😱

Ok reality check: This is the volume of a 10 foot by 1 inch hose

V = 3.14 × 0.5 in × 0.5 in × 120 in =94.2 cubic inch. that makes about 0.4 gallons. Not 1.5 to 2 gallons.

Ask any fire fighter to do the math for you and they will come up with these numbers.

Your math is good but is based on assumptions. this information was passed on from fuel industry. I don't know where solenoid for the pump lines is within the pump. I just know what they told me. it is more than I ever thought it would be too. explains why my fuels lines have been cracking. not happy about it.

Sounds to me as though the gas stations don't have much of an incentive to make the lines dedicated since they make money on the transactions this way (e.g. gallon or two overpaid by a dollar each)

Edited by Sk8man

Too bad we the people can't go into trillions of dollars in debt like our government does and offer the corn lobby enough to leave the food in the grocery store and feed mills. Until then, burn the Lucas E 10 e15 treat, and add a little upper cylinder lubricant fuel treat from Lucas in your 2 strokes to counter the effects of alcohol thinning of lubricant oil.

I never drain my carbs or run them dry before storing. Keep the fuel management systems, vapor separation tanks, low pressure fuel pumps, on injection systems of the engine wetted, and no problem ever. Air exposure on surfaces is trouble where once occupied by ethanol.

Edited by skipper19

From what I understand about seafoam is it burns really hot. Which is similar to ethanol. That doesn't sound like a good recipe for a two stroke if you run seafoam and ethanol fuel. However after writing this I will fact check myself.

I heard a story about ethanol fuel from a mechanic at a BMW dealer a few years ago. I guess BMW was having problems with new cars popping motors in this area. So the sent a team up to investigate. As the story goes they tested gas from many different stations and found that all had ethanol levels of 25-30 percent by volume. Ethanol and gasoline are slightly different densities and will separate as a result. Best to get your gas at a volume retailer instead of the smaller stations I guess.

After having bad ethanol has a few years back, that delaminates my fuel lines and almost cost me an outboard and a big toe bill. I will only run non ethanol from a dedicated pump. Not worth the risk. Especially on older equipment not designed for the ethanol fuel.

I learned a few things over the years about this shyten corn juice, but the most I ever was surprised was the gas station out from Dexter put a 93 non ethenal fuel, I gassed up my boat there, I backed her in the water, now she sat all winter but I did run it at home first, but I barely reached the key and she fired right up and she sounded like a different motor, louder, mean lean kick a$$ machine, I'll never run that crap again and with gas prices now it doesn't make sense. Save yourself a lot of headaches. Now I don't know about the newer units designed to operate on the newer fuels.

I learned a few things over the years about this shyten corn juice, but the most I ever was surprised was the gas station out from Dexter put a 93 non ethenal fuel, I gassed up my boat there, I backed her in the water, now she sat all winter but I did run it at home first, but I barely reached the key and she fired right up and she sounded like a different motor, louder, mean lean kick a$$ machine, I'll never run that crap again and with gas prices now it doesn't make sense. Save yourself a lot of headaches. Now I don't know about the newer units designed to operate on the newer fuels.

try some in your truck.. it's like getting a tuneup .... amazing how the engines love it.....

The actual amount of ethanol can be off depending on the local fuel distributor. The gas when it comes to the local depot doesn't have any ethanol in it. your local distributor is responsible to put it in !  Thats probably why those BMW were popping engines.. A bad mix... or a depot employee that got run off the road by a Beamer driver  LOL...........