Saw bellies?

Rollie, you gonna park that beautiful trolling boat and fish live bait,?? say it ain't so!!

If anyone has em try KH 607-256-1879 at south end of Cayuga.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

Isn't it mostly about the " smell trail" or oil trail that the herring baits leave, I realize the proper roll is important but the bait heads will roll a hotdog if it's thin ????

Keep the oil from those old strips you got off me and use that

I know this may sound "picky" but the bait regulations require that you either use commercially packaged dead bait and also possess the packaging from it with you or if using live bait or frozen you have a signed receipt from a certified bait dealer that is good for 10 days from the transaction date.. This is according to DEC because of the virus concerns.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not sure about the actual procedure but I know you have to have a certification certificate or license which requires routine testing of your bait source for viruses and I believe it is several hundred dollars but not sure for how long it is good for either or whether you have to pay for or arrange for the testing services etc.  Whenever the NYS bureaucracy gets involved it is always "messy" and "expensive".

You can use the bait where you catch it, just can't transport it... So, it's almost like salt life. Gotta start your day catching bait then go fishing!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is true Nick. The one thing I have wondered though is if you were to be stopped by a conservation  officer while out there and someone said they caught the bait out there rather than say getting it from an uncertified source how would they be able to make a determination? On the other side of it I'm sure they have a lot more things to do than check someones bait out unless maybe fishing from shore during a routine license check (e.g. still fishing) and then the question becomes how did you catch them from here on shore? :lol: I guess the more important thing is that we all try to keep the viruses and invasives from further spreading although it often seems as though the proverbial horse is already out of the barn.

Edited by Sk8man

We've run them behind cowbells and Hemlock spinners for years at the north end but not with the plastic heads. I ran a couple of the Lake O setups during the derby last year and they work :) Didn't do anything on the one with twinkies though.

Edited by Sk8man