Saw bellies?

as I read the regulations. If you had a friend who lives within walking distance of the lake (like maybe a new camp) that will let you use some freezer space or bait tank you are within the regs to do what you want with alewives.  DO NOT transport them away from the water body by motorized vehicle and then bring them back.

No you can not use my freezer

We've run them behind cowbells and Hemlock spinners for years at the north end but not with the plastic heads. I ran a couple of the Lake O setups during the derby last year and they work :) Didn't do anything on the one with twinkies though.

Sk8man, 

did you use herring or sawbellies with those Lake O rigs? I ran them last year with sawbellies and had no luck.  I was using the twinkies on them though.  Where can you get Herring, and also someone told me that you cant use it durring the Derby because its not a native fish to Seneca.  Any thoughts on this?

We use bellies.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nick, do you use the meat harnesses, or just the hooks run through the sawbills like the old timers around here do?

Edited by Grady19

Depends. I do both and even some other tricks. There's days it works great and days they will not touch it.. But days it's a struggle, that's my main go to. Fresh is best.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are a number of different Herring sub types in the species but the ones in Seneca are called sawbellies or alewives and to my knowledge you can't introduce any other types of baitfish other than those listed on the DEC syllabus that you get at stores or bait shops etc.  

Last year I ran both a fresh frozen sawbelly and just slid his head in the meat rig and put a toothpick in the holes and then broke it off to hold it in place for one of them on the other that I also caught a laker on I made an artificial bait from a salt water jig body bait like these below. I placed a fairly rigid copper wire inside so I can bend them to twirl the right way

post-145411-0-17472300-1461272850_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Grady 19 I got the sawbellies from the lady  on 5 and 20 between Geneva and Waterloo. She is a certified dealer. I think she gets them a day or two before the derby

Capt Johns magnum bait heads are the best heads I have ever used. All I do is stick the meat in the head. No fussing around making it spin. You could add a little herring oil to the plastic to give it a natural scent.

• 3 weeks later...

The bigger the water the bigger the Sawbelly.. they can  grow to 10 inches in the Great lakes, and to about 15-16 max in the marine environment where  they originated. In the ocean,they have a lot more food, a lot more space, and a lot more critters that like to eat them.. Those massive schools of   Alewives  we see on our fish finders  would be decimated in minutes by a couple hundred bluefish, not to mention the stripers and weakfish that pick off whatever the blues don't get.. Actually  one good   size whale would do an even better job than the blues.. They love herring and herring like  fish.. Our local FL sawbellies, are the lucky ones.. bob