Snaps

Anyone that has a solid ring and ball bearing. Make sure they are quality ones the cheaper ones have a weak point where the snap sits in the metal seat. Spro are the best,IMO.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 7 months later...

Anyone that has a solid ring and ball bearing. Make sure they are quality ones the cheaper ones have a weak point where the snap sits in the metal seat. Spro are the best,IMO.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Only problem with spros is that are are a B....to open and close. Especially the smaller ones such as the size 2 - 45lb.

The solid ring can make a big difference Mikey because with the split ring type the line can get caught in the depression and cut itself off (don't ask how I know :lol: ).

Edited by Sk8man

The latching and holding is a main reason I switched to the Duo locks years ago as well as the fact that they have a well rounded snap face so that the action of the lure whether spoon or stick tends to be better than many of the other options I used to use (e.g. coast locks etc.). I guess the bottom line is whatever option you have faith in and what seems to work best for you is what you go with and personal preference is a factor in all this stuff :)

For my homemade fluorocarbon leaders I usually just tie a snap to one end which goes to the bait and tie the other end directly to my line. I do this for all types of fishing. Even when using inline spinners I rarely get a problem with line twist. Less hardware less to interfere with the bait. Food for thought.

I like black coast lock snaps.  I have found 20 pounds a touch too dainty, 30's are more to my liking.  I never use a swivel with a stick bait.  I fish some of the clearest springtime water in the GLs.  That being said, I really do not think color of the snap matters much.  

Sometimes the rocks claim a bait, bad enough to lose an 8 dollar bait, losing a $2 Sampo ball bearing snap swivel is an unnecessary expense.  I will always have BB snap swivels in front of spoons and spinners.

If your stick baits roll, learn how to tune them.  I have not had any luck catching spring fish on a rolling stick bait.  If the boat driver gets a couple of lines crossed, no swivel I have used avoids the impending line snarl.

for browns and eyes I use a quality barrel swivel, 6' or so of floro leader then just a quality small snap. This way less drag to the lure = better action.

X3 only I stretch it out to like a 20 ft fluorocarbon leader.... by end of may it's a lot shorter lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app