Spin Doctors and Trolling flies

I tie my own flies and usually stay within the range of 18-30 inches with the most commonly used about 20-22 inches. No swivel on the fly leader just a loop. The flashers or spinneys already have swivels/snaps on them just fasten to them.

Edited by Sk8man

One thing I have learned in my brief Spinny/Fly Flasher/Fly career is there is NO set answer for your question. Last season a guy at the dock told me to run around 28" back. After two days of nothing I went as short as 16"  and the riggers and dipsys started firing on a consistent basis. Went up the following weekend and couldn't buy a bite on the same combo. Switched to a 22" leader and bam the bite was on. It all depends on the fishes mood . Dont be afraid to experiment!

I was just having this conversation with my father a weeks back.  Same exact fly behind the same exact flasher at the same depth and setback, 1 was getting hammered the other was not, only difference was the leader length on the flies.  I'm typically at 24 inches from base of the hook to loop.  

Typically 24".

Rule of thumb is 3 x length of your flasher/paddle.

One thing I do to increase decrease action is change the location of the swivels on my SD's, to make it more or less agressive of a presentation.

That's just because I couldn't bother continually adjusting my leader lengths on my flies.

That is another "depends" answer :lol: . Most of the time I don't hand line in fish such as kings so I keep the entire setup length to 8 ft or less which is less than the length most of of my rods. My wire rods are shorter so I keep the setups for them at about six ft. max. However in the summer months the fish may want considerably longer leads between the flasher or dipsey and the fly or spoon so I adjust accordingly knowing I will have to hand line the fish in. Another way around this problem is to use slider dipseys.

Edited by Sk8man

Typically 24".

Rule of thumb is 3 x length of your flasher/paddle.

One thing I do to increase decrease action is change the location of the swivels on my SD's, to make it more or less agressive of a presentation.

That's just because I couldn't bother continually adjusting my leader lengths on my flies.

Good advice to get you started!

How far behind the ball do you normally run the SD or flashers to get the best action.  thanks

Spin Doctors have multiple holes in them for "fast" or "slow" action. The instructions are printed on the back of the packaging

dreamweaver-spin-doctor-rigging-instruct