New to the forum- and to boating (kind of)

Spent most of my life fishing from piers, docks, the beach (saltwater), and for the last 6 years or so, I've been skipping around Sodus bay on a little 15' whaler. I bought a 25' 1987 regal Royal- with 2 down riggers, hoping to get out in the lake after the species that I normally can't catch from shore in the bay. I spent all last year updating the electronics (lowrance-C to GPS, paper scroll fish finder to hummingbird, new marine radio, etc...) and had it over to Arnie's to get fixed up mechanically. Hoping to start getting out on the water and boating some fish. See y'all on the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Just wanted to say thanks for your services!! If you have riggers get yer' self a set of rigger weights, there are guys on here that make really good ones, don't buy the round balls, they suck, I bought mine from Harvey, Trout Man nice looking torpedo looking like. There is a another guy called Bikinl Bottom he make them also. Get yourself rigged up for lake trout they like to play a lot more then the other species. Good luck Sarge!!

Thanks- I've got to test out the riggers I have- they haven't been used in 6 years, and the last owner knows the counters didn't work on either of them, and wasn't sure if anything else needed repairs... But I'll keep your advice in mind- Thanks!

That's what I was told- normally I just talk to people I work with- we have a few guys that spend every waking moment on the water (when they aren't at work)... One of those gents suggested I look into this forum- so far, he hasn't steered me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone sees me out (not catching anything) feel free to make a close pass and tell me what's working for you. White Cap II. ... But if I'm back in the bay- that means I've given up on the lake for the day, and I can catch fish in the bay.

Saw a lot of people north of maxwell today- many of whom were hooked up. I trolled for 4 hours with lines at 15, 25 and 35 feet- not a single bite. I was using X-raps (silver and black with a red throat) about 115' back, and a diving crankbait of the same color (at 200' from the boat). Boat won't go slower than about 2.25. What am I doing wrong? Yesterday was the same thing, except I tried flatlining a mix of spoons and sticks (chartreuse, perch, silver and black...) everywhere from 10-30 FOW, and today was 80'- 200'.

Not going to lie- getting frustrated. I had to go back into Sodus bay and catch a half bucket of rock bass, and perch- throwing back all the largemouth- just to make myself feel better about not knowing how to fish open water.

Edited by SgtUSMC08

Try a MUP rig.  Mag spoon or Slvr flasher high with a fly behind it with a short lead.  Run it 10 ft back.  Run a clean matching spoon 10 below it and 10 ft behind it.  Down speed 2.5. (GPS 3-3.2).  Start about 35 ft down. 15-20 min, change your depth.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, everyone- still haven't hooked up with a king or a laker- but I just fixed my downriggers, so I'll be out again this coming weekend.

Great job there Sgt. Did you get your boat to troll 1.8 or 2.0 yet? If so get a hold of Brian and get yerself some of his lake trout Riggs, they are nocking them dead with his Riggs. Gambler is his name on here and he's got a pile of pages, go to page 1 he's got all his stuff pictured there. Call him up and he will help you choose the rig for your area and depth!! Edited by pap

Depends on the wind and current- (gps speed)- into the wind I've been as slow as 1.7- but if I'm trolling with the wind, I'm around 2.6-2.9- I've heard good things about drift socks being able to slow you down- are they worth looking into?

... Oh, and once I finally finished troubleshooting and repairing a 26 year old autopilot- I'm not sure i could go out without it... All it does for me is to keep me going straight- but it's definitely a huge asset when I'm setting up, switching lures, or pulling in something on the line... Absolutely love it.