"Total protonic reversal" achieved, now what?

Lively1

Remember in Ghostbusters when Spengler tells Venkman "Don't cross the streams!"... because it would lead to Total Protonic Reversal? (Replay here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE. )

Well I sort of did that today in my boat..

I was in a hurry and it was dark under the carport and the battery top was all black.. and on top of all that, I'm just a dummy..  :yes:  I hooked up red to black and black to red and fried the alternator in my Bayliner. :ninja: :ninja:

Fortunately, the alternator was relatively easy to remove and its at a local shop getting new diodes and capacitors and whatevers. If it's salvageable that is..

My question is this - What else might have been damaged? 

The main starting cables, the tilt motor power leads, and a ProSport dual bank battery charger were the only things connected. I think the bilge pump is on that battery circuit as well. The trolling motor and fish finder leads weren't connected, and the key was not in the ignition so I'm hoping none of the fuses under the dash were blown.

Could the starter be damaged? What else should I inspect/test before putting it in the water and trying to start it? (after I get the alternator back).

Thanks guys.

Might have fried the battery and if any sensitive electronics were connected to it they might have suffered ill effects. Only way to find out is to install new alternator and battery and power everything up.

IF all other circuits were closed, meaning off then the only thing that will be damaged, is the alt which is the only thing that can relate to reverse polarity, starter doesn't know polarity either, a fielded starter would act the same, as the fields determine the rotation and a permanent magnet starter would run in reverse, I highly doubt you had the key in the ON position so all that is activated by the ignition would be safe. Depending on the year there could be some inline fuses that could have been effected, meaning newer boats, that have a diode in a line to protect whatever it may be. Fire her up and see what doesn't work and go from there. I've been in the heavy duty starter and alternator business for 22 years. That's my take on it. There might be some others that will chime in here also. Just remember it's a boat, not a delicate computer system.

Been there and done that. Basically the system becomes a 24 volt system. I cooked my alternator same as you. The circuit breaker for the bilge pump tripped, no big deal. The fuse on the kicker blew, which was no big deal except that I didn't realize it until I went to fire it up on the next trip. No other damage except the crushing blow to my ego. 15 years as a tractor trailer mechanic working with parallel and series parallel battery systems without blowing anything up and I F-up my boat the first time I hook up the batteries. Awesome! All said and done you should be good to go after the alternator if you did not turn the key on.

This reminds me of my last boat when it was brand new.  I was mounting downriggers and dropped an end wrench and it fell perfectly across both battery terminals!  Lots of sparks and smoke from a Brand new outboard that had never seen water!  I took it back to the dealer and they replaced every ground wire on the motor!