Twili tip

I would get a designated dipsy rod. They have to be able to handle a massive amount of force, especially if running a mag dipsy or 1's with an over sized ring. If you need to troll fast, even more so.

Although it might work it isn't the most effective solution. The downrigger rod is made with a relatively fast tip (to accomodate bending under tension on the downrigger) and medium strength in the backbone of it. A true dipsey rod will be stiffer and stronger in both areas to counteract some of the pull of the dipsey. It is one of those situations where the best option is getting the right tool for the job :)

Edited by Sk8man

I ran the copper lead core rods with a twilli tip for 2 seasons before I upgraded and they worked well enough. Although they were not the perfect rod for the job they worked. They did have some extra spring in them and they were a little heavy. I can't say they cost me any fish and I use #1 dipseys with the power ring. If you can afford roller rods they are very nice to use and are much lighter if you get a quality rod. I know of a few people who have been using the copper lead core rods and have no complaints.

Edited by tlr426

The roller rods are what I have used for years for everything from Seth Greens to the wire rods and even one for copper although it not necessary with copper but the friction coming in is reduced a lot on that one. They are more expensive though than the twilli solution and usually shorter rods in length.