Kicker prop pitch

Chas0218

Right now my kicker can push my boat okay. I can get around 2.5mph at the ball going into 5'-6' waves. I'm not sure which direction the current is going but the boats sog is around 4mph maybe a touch faster. My motor doesn't seem to rev out in these conditions. I turn the tiller handle for more speed and at about 3/4 throttle to full throttle the rpm doesn't change. They make a prop that will allow me to go down 2" in pitch. Do you think I should leave it or go down in pitch?

Chas

Sent from my thinking chair...

The right prop will not give you speed but tork. Most kicker props will max out at 3/4 throttle (in speed), an aggressive pitch will just slip unless there is lots of blade, so having said that evaluate what you have and what your looking at. You want a big blade, lots of surface aria, then pitch is last in importance.

Some of the props out there have small blade surfaces so you need to really look at it and take some measurements. Its as much an art as it is science because there are so many variables with each boat and set up.

What your describing sounds right to me, I wouldn't waist money on it, as it works and works good. Its very hard to fish in 6' seas so moving the boat like yours dose is very good.

PK

Ok I thought maybe it was just the prop, they offer lower pitch props but nothing with larger diameter and/or more blades. I would be going down 2" in pitch and .25" in diameter from what I currently have.

Sent from my thinking chair...