Questions about my boat

stoneam2006

Couple of questions guys. Appreciate it in advance .

Boat is 1989 four winns 18 foot 3.0l mercruiser open bow

1) I am putting a bow mount trolling motor on this week 65 lb minn kotta been reading that marine grade wall ancor style bolts will work as I have 0 access under bow is this ok or is there a better way.

2) how do I figure out if I have the right prop on my boat to begin with main motor prop?

3) could I mount a kicker motor to the transom for trolling? Or is there better options. I don't know how partial I am to using the 4 cylinder to troll. But then again I don't know much about trolling or boats for that matter. Please help if you can.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Is the motor a 4cyl. I have a 3.0L in a 17fter, most all four bangers use a 19 pitch. When I first got the boat it had a 15X21, boat took forever to get on plane, called our local Merc dealer he said go with aluminum, why aluminum, first if you hit a rock it won't destroy your lower end on your outdrive,second is, they are lighter so they spin up much faster using less force. Yes, I would mount a Bracket on the transome

Is the motor a 4cyl. I have a 3.0L in a 17fter, most all four bangers use a 19 pitch. When I first got the boat it had a 15X21, boat took forever to get on plane, called our local Merc dealer he said go with aluminum, why aluminum, first if you hit a rock it won't destroy your lower end on your outdrive,second is, they are lighter so they spin up much faster using less force. Yes, I would mount a Bracket on the transome

Yea 4 cylinder with a 15 pitch on it but came with extra 19. Both alum just didn't know Which one should be on. I will put other on and try it .thanks.

The kicker bracket won't be to much stress for an older hull...boat is in beautiful condition just new and don't know much about it.

I would put a plate on the inside to help support the bracket, while dispersing the stress over a larger area instead of just relying on the 4 bolts with washers. I did this as I need to run my kicker at pretty good pace to push my 22fter at 2.5 mph. I have a older Fiberglas cuddy and she weighs up there. I put a plate on the inside and that transome doesn't move a bit.

I would put a plate on the inside to help support the bracket, while dispersing the stress over a larger area instead of just relying on the 4 bolts with washers. I did this as I need to run my kicker at pretty good pace to push my 22fter at 2.5 mph. I have a older Fiberglas cuddy and she weighs up there. I put a plate on the inside and that transome doesn't move a bit.

Never thought of that...awesome was going to get boat wrapped this winter but decided not to and going to work on it in my garage 9ver the winter so trying to get things figured out