Temp Probe with chamberlain release

I have been acquiring gear over the winter to target salmon and trout this summer for the first time. I'm experienced with trolling with planer boards and divers, but this will be my first season with down riggers. Latest purchase was a fish hawk and Chamberlain releases. Is this the correct way to rig the releases and the probe? Im basically trusting the release to hold a $300 probe. Is this correct, or should the release be under the probe?

post-159569-14583583560311_thumb.jpg

The release is strong enough to hold the weight of probe and weight. Make sure that the weakest connection is below the probe,so if the weight gets stuck,the line will brake below the probe and not above. Also make sure that there are no loose strands on cable itself. You have 300 dollars dangling on a thin steel wire.

Edited by rolmops

I run a snubber below my probe but other than that that's how I run mine. Just wait until you see how gingerly you let go of that probe for the first time and the next 50x after that. It's not the best feeling dropping 300$ over the side of the boat dangling on a cable.

Edited by Buckmaster7600

I run a snubber below my probe but other than that that's how I run mine. Just wait until you see how gingerly you let go of that probe for the first time and the next 50x after that. It's not the best feeling dropping 300$ over the side of the boat dangling on a cable.

Lol. That's the truth!!

I rig mine a little different. I cut the metal wire rod off of the Chamberlain and run my rigger cable thru the Chamberlain where the rod went thru. I also use a short piece of plastic tube that makes the fit between the Chamberlain and the wire better. It's actually chafe tube I used when tuna fishing. Now to keep the release from just running up the rigger cable I stack scotty stop beads above it. I believe I got this method off this board years ago before Chamberlain beefed up their wire diameter on the release. If you have the new release your probably fine but I had some of the original thinner diameter wire releases and I couldn't see myself trusting htem to hold that much weight. I also like the clean look of the method I use which also involves less connections.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike

Thank you for the replies.  I'll run them like this.  I experimented with the release mechanism on those releases and am fascinated by how adjustable they are while still allowing the rod to be cranked down tight.  I'm going to use these for walleye on Lake Erie also and think I'll be able to adjust these so I can pull a worm harness and have it release even if a little white perch or white bass gets on the line.  Can't wait to get out on the water!

I rig mine a little different. I cut the metal wire rod off of the Chamberlain and run my rigger cable thru the Chamberlain where the rod went thru. I also use a short piece of plastic tube that makes the fit between the Chamberlain and the wire better. It's actually chafe tube I used when tuna fishing. Now to keep the release from just running up the rigger cable I stack scotty stop beads above it. I believe I got this method off this board years ago before Chamberlain beefed up their wire diameter on the release. If you have the new release your probably fine but I had some of the original thinner diameter wire releases and I couldn't see myself trusting htem to hold that much weight. I also like the clean look of the method I use which also involves less connections.

Spike

I do exactly the same as CaptSpike describes above for my coated cable for my Depth Raider.

For the Fish Hawk, I rig as the original poster's photo, as I find it much easier to rig and maintain.

Another approach I tried is to use the Chamberlain stacker style release, but I prefer the two methods above as they both allow the release to swivel.

Don