2017+ mercury 75,90,115 4 stroke design flaw in This Old Boat Posted Saturday at 09:08 AM Ok this isn’t a bash on Mercury, but I bought a brand new 90 in 2017 which now had 361 flawless hours, as I would have come to expect. However, this past Tuesday, I decided to launch from Mexico and take the gf and my dog up to sandy pond to the beach by the inlet. It’s about a 9-10 mile trip +/-. Got there fine. After leaving the beach, around 7, I made it about 100 yards and the engine started sputtering. (Now keep in mind I personally rebuilt everything on my 1969 offshore. Floors, transom, fuel tank, lines, water separator, everything leading up to the engine.) once I heard it sputter it appeared to self correct and reassured gf that some water somehow got into the gas. Then it did it again for about 15 seconds. I look back at the engine and the fuel line inlet to the engine has completely broken off. (Similar to how you’d use to run the old two stroke carb engines out of gas) and I knew we were running on a very limited supply of fuel and that it would die momentarily. I turned it it off in anticipation. Head back to the engine to see what can be done, since we are a long ways from home. There’s a two piece connector system that has a necked down tit that leads into the internal fuel line on the engine. It completely snapped in two. *serious design flaw* Fortunately, my 3/8” fuel line ID was larger than that tits OD and I managed to force press the 3/8” line with constant pressure into the engine inlet. Gf drove home while I force pressed the line to the inlet. It somehow worked. Fuel spilled everywhere en route as I know the line was sucking air too. I have never been so happy to get back to the launch. I’d have been screwed if I was by myself. I do carry extensive spare parts on board. Had extra hose. Nothing would have worked because I couldn’t pull the inlet out to work with it. Below is a pic of the part. Took it to Ralph in salmon country and he did exactly what my plan b was on the water. Simply run the line directly to the fuel pump and bypass the connector. This is a serious design flaw. I do not beat my motor. Rarely go over 20. And the hours on it are mostly trolling. Wanted to post since if I didn’t understand the issue, and understand how the fuel delivery system worked, I’d have been left stranded. In my 1969 rebuilt boat, by a 2017 engine with less than 400 hours on it. Lol I know most on here understand their operation well, but I know a lot of guys run these engines and besides this flaw they are wonderful. Figured I’d post my story in case you have the same engine. If you guys want more pics or details let me know. Mercury honored the warrantee, but I will likely contact them myself.