Captains catch limits

I know several/most guides out of Henderson do not regularly catch their limit in addition to their clients, of whatever species they are fishing for that day.  As for myself, never intentionally.  The only time I do, is if we take a fish before I can get all the baits out of the water immediately following a limit for my clients.  If I feel I can throw it back and have that fish survive, I do.  If not, then I add it to my clients cooler at the end of the day.  

It does not benefit the captain to keep their limit. One, boat gas is expensive. Two, the resource is too valuable. Taking over the client’s limit in an area will guarantee that it will be more difficult to achieve the same success in the afternoon trip. Most captains are honorable stewards of the lake so I would not worry too much about this topic. There are procession limits on fish also so taking home someone else’s limit   may put you over. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gill-T said:

It does not benefit the captain to keep their limit. One, boat gas is expensive. Two, the resource is too valuable. Taking over the client’s limit in an area will guarantee that it will be more difficult to achieve the same success in the afternoon trip. Most captains are honorable stewards of the lake so I would not worry too much about this topic. There are procession limits on fish also so taking home someone else’s limit   may put you over. 

Gill-T

Can you talk more about the possession limit?  I've read through the regs and can't find anything that limits possession.   

Not only is Gill T correct in terms of the specific wording of the game laws there are also other considerations. As charter captain’s we have an especially close relationship with the fishery and it’s sustainability. Consequently it’s important that we not only protect it but also be models of prudent behavior. 

• Like 1

I never have unless it is a fish caught while bringing in lines and the clients have a full catch and only if that fish cannot be released unharmed.  I was asked about that a few times last season and for some reason, it is only asked if we are having a real good day.  I guess the clients are thinking "the more, the merrier" but people that greedy should buy their fish from a store.  For most of my clients the catch is just part of the whole experience and many practice catch and release.

Per DEC regs. “ No more than two days’ legal take of nonsalable fish may be transported unless a permit is obtained from a DEC regional office , OR the fish is frozen , processed , and packaged for storage “

To answer Hondo’s original question of it being common practice of captain and mate keeping fish to add to client’s limit, the answer is “No”.  I have kept the odd fish here or there when you have fish that can’t be released pulling lines or for some odd occurrences.  That would be a fish here or there over a season and certainly out of the realm of “common practice”.  When asked by clients, I just say No and that usually is the end of that conversation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, stephanadams said:

if they pay for fishing licenses aren’t they entitled to their legal limit, too? If they choose to give them away isnt that their prerogative?

Only if the captain and mate reel them in and actually catch them.....which most times isn't the case.  Not only is the captain acting unethical - technically speaking his clients are over their limit if they landed them themselves.....

Speed Test