May 1st opener

Smat64

Years ago the DEC changed all of the openers to a Saturday so that working anglers had an equal chance to get out. Now, with the return to the historical dates, many guys get the shaft. Here's our previous example: annual family camping/fishing trip for northern pike. Anyone available to set up on Friday (mostly retired guys). Working younger guys come after work and can fish the opener, take a day or two off and get four days fishing.

This year, if they wanted to come with a Monday opener, it was all time off if they could get it (or if they had enough to still keep family vacation plans intact). We bring kids. Now they might have to skip school to share in the tradition.

No wonder participation is falling in outdoor activities. Unintended consequences of poorly thought out or political decisions.

When they changed the SZ deer opener from Monday to Saturday there was a lot of grumbling too.

Turkey season has opened on May 1st forever.

I would not be surprised to see more seasons open on specific dates. It cuts down on regulation updates.

It also makes the regs easier to understand for so.e people making it always may first means a slightly earlier start no reason you can't still have an opening weekend trip might even be less boat traffic as locals got out during the week and can avoide the opening weekend rush

The trout opener has always been April 1st, I don’t see why other species need to open on a Saturday. It does stink to have to work on openers or take a day off but not everyone has Saturdays off.  More incentive to retire early I say. 👍🏽

• Like 1