5/12 Genesee River (Red Cross Tourney)

Mated for Capt Sam for the 6 year in a row and had a great day on the water. Between the morning and afternoon trips we were 11 for 19 with 1 coho, 2 kings and 8 steelies. The steelies were all over the place yesterday. We took steelies from the surface to 75' down. Both kings came down 90 over 130' at the same time (right at the end of the day). Lost another big king off the boards and a couple nice steelies off the board. We had one big steelie hit a rigger parked at 35 on the Starboard rigger and was jumping on the other side of the wire dispy on the port side of the boat :o . That did not end well ;( . The hot lures of the day: Orange crush NK28, Stinger NBK, Stinger Gator, and the Live Wire Spin Doctor and the green hammer fly. We took fish off riggers, boards, dipsies and coppers. The most consistant depths were 90' down, 55' down and the surface. There was a nice temp break on the surface off of Vanlare in 135' going Southeast to Northwest. Temp changed 2 degrees and was holding a lot of fish and bait.

The morning and afternoon tourneys were won by the same captain. I can't remember the name but he had a 18lb. king in the morning and a 21lb. 10oz. king in the afternoon.

It was a great tourney especially because we won both morning and afternoon :) Besides that the yact club and the red cross put on a great event and it was a lot of fun. Both of our charters had some great people a board, want to talk about class acts our afternoon team after landing the 21. 10 king donated their winnings back to the red cross. I also have to say that the Port of Rochester is a very underrated port for fishing, there is a lot of big fish around there and not a lot of boats fishing. Again great event can't wait to do it again next year

Rob

Penn Yan 88,

Don't say that too loud or we will have a crowded area to fish. The Red Cross tourney is always a good time. Good people, good fishing, good food and for a great cause.

It's great that this tournament has withstood the test of time, I'm sure it's even better than the early years when I helped out some friends. All of the captains and mates that devote their time should be commended and in some of the cases they are moving their boat to the port, so several days of effort are involved.