Inside water was gin clear so we worked 100-150 from 8 to 11. Went 6 for 6 with a couple small Kings a couple steelhead a coho and a low 16’s laker. All released to fight another day. Marked very little but was a pretty morning and was nice to have a little action. 

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Inside water was gin clear so we worked 100-150 from 8 to 11. Went 6 for 6 with a couple small Kings a couple steelhead a coho and a low 16’s laker. All released to fight another day. Marked very little but was a pretty morning and was nice to have a little action. 

IMG_4828.jpeg

IMG_4826.jpeg

Wait, you are taking pics of lakers now?  I'm feeling faint!  If you need some laker gear, I know a guy! :smile:Good job Bill!  Glad to see you guys are out!  

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GAMBLER said:

Wait, you are taking pics of lakers now?  I'm feeling faint!  If you need some laker gear, I know a guy! :smile:Good job Bill!  Glad to see you guys are out!  

I thought the same thing when Bill sent me the pic! I said “your favorite fish” lol 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, dickey said:

I thought the same thing when Bill sent me the pic! I said “your favorite fish” lol 

We have to keep him on his toes!  

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

We have to keep him on his toes!  

He was smarter than me, I tried fishing skinny water all day from Genny to I bay and just washed lures. At least his son got to reel something in. 

19 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Anyone seen pics of the laker out of the Oak today?

Blue Mesa reservoir Colorado......I know how you love Lakers, so I'll split the cost of the trip if you want to head out there some time!!Screenshot_20230507-131324.thumb.png.8185889ac3d873de051a23e34e1c3d81.png

1 hour ago, Reel Doc said:

Blue Mesa reservoir Colorado......I know how you love Lakers, so I'll split the cost of the trip if you want to head out there some time!!Screenshot_20230507-131324.thumb.png.8185889ac3d873de051a23e34e1c3d81.png

They aren’t all that big but is a really cool reservoir with diverse fishery for sure.

4 minutes ago, Reel Doc said:

Abdomen is so distended.  Have to wonder what was it's diet, and how old......

I believe it was released, so still swimming. They eat lake trout, koakanee, other trout and the lake now has perch. Crawfish and bugs. I do think there is a lot of cannibalism here with lake trout.

Edited by BRsnow

2 hours ago, Reel Doc said:

For Elk? Absolutely!

I try to avoid lakers. 

6 minutes ago, BRsnow said:

I believe it was released, so still swimming. They eat lake trout, koakanee, other trout and the lake now has perch. Crawfish and bugs. I do think there is a lot of cannibalism here with lake trout.

Sounds like you fished there?  Had not heard of Blue Mesa but knew Flaming Gorge in Utah/Wyoming has quite a lake trout fishery too.  The Western state reservoirs are getting a boost with Winter runoff after so many dry years.

1 minute ago, Reel Doc said:

Sounds like you fished there?  Had not heard of Blue Mesa but knew Flaming Gorge in Utah/Wyoming has quite a lake trout fishery too.  The Western state reservoirs are getting a boost with Winter runoff after so many dry years.

Yes, I have fished there. I spend more time on Granby and Williams fork, but Blue Mesa is huge.

Whaler1:  when you went out and fished the 100-150 ft depth were you fishing up on top or running lines deep?  Just wondered.  Hopefully headed out Thursday for the first trip of the year.  Any info would be helpful.  Thought about starting inshore for browns. - Mr Kato