Autopilot Recommendations

drlfc

I am looking to upgrade my autopilot from a Raymarine XR-5 helm unit to a below deck unit. I have a 350 Chevy Inboard and an 8 hp Yamaha kicker. Hydraulic steering which has a hydraulic switch that can change the steering from rudder to kicker.  26’ Penn Yan, 10’ beam. I’m not looking for cheap, looking for reliability and longevity.

Just trying to understand what you are saying.  Do you have a hydraulic steering cylinder in the steering tube on the Yamaha and the hydraulic pump is switched to the kicker with valving?

I have 2 hydraulic cylinders…on on the kicker and one for the rudder. I switch from main engine to the kicker with a valve switch. The pump is a Up Helm unit. This system seems to be unique but it works for my boat. The only hiccup is the Raymarine autopilot that will make steering difficult due to it’s inherent design.

I just put a Raymarine Evo 150 on my 245 Contender with an I/O, 9.9 honda kicker and hydraulic steering.  I believe the EVO 200 is for Inboards and the 100 is for Outboards.  The unit worked flawless trolling into 3' waves last week with the kicker.  

• Like 1