Electric Boat Winch for Trailer

I used one on my trailer for my 21' cobia that had roller bunks on top of the regular bunks. but on the 26' it has bunks on it and works great. I had an 87 28' sea ray with twin 4.3 Mercruiser with bunks on the trailer and it pulled up just fine. you could go up to an lt4000 but I just don't think you need it. i started using electric over 15 yrs ago. but the lt3000 with the load-holding brake is what I switched to and I trust it not to slip and let the boat slide back on the trailer. but I still hook up a safety chain just in case. if it would make you feel better with the extra power then it's not going to hurt to get the lt400. but I would make sure to let off the power once the trailer bow roller is firmly in place on the boat.

2 hours ago, pdsalmon said:

One more quick question, are you using the cable on the winch?

If so, have you any trouble with the cable pinching and not

working well?

I haven't had any real trouble. but it's best to keep the cable from getting loops in it. and I only spool off just what I need to reach the bow eye which is usually only about 10' or less for me. now on some shallow ramps, it does take a little more. but even if it tangled it would all be right on top. I have had a loop in the cable when bringing the boat up when the cable gets tight it it never gave me any trouble. 1 am 72 and in poor health. I couldn't even think about going boating without my electric wince.

the 1st time I used an electric wince my oldest son and I were at Brookville Lake camping.  and my wife and I were there for the next week. so my son left with my boat still tied up at the dock. and I had to load it by myself on a steep ramp. I had to stop 2 different times and rest for about 15 minutes each time. my heart just couldn't take it.

but before I launched again I drove down to Cincy and bought an electric winch or my boating would have ended yrs ago. I started with boat trailer winches but I would have to stop and winch the boat back down as it would get slack from the boat rocking on the trailer. but I finally read about the load-holding brake on the Super winch lt3000 winch. now I do have an Lt5000 that I bought new off eBay but right now I don't need to use it but it does feel good to know I have it if the lt3000 ever goes bad.

now I do have a couple of other trailer winches but they are still Super Winch just a different type of winch. I am planning on using one on my new to me 17' Rinker with the 115 HP Johnson but haven't mounted it yet. I forget just what they are but I believe they are S-series winches. the cost up around 600.00 new but I bought mine like new but used for a lot less money. 

I am sorry for the long message. the bottom line is once you use the S-series or the LT series you will never go back to a manual.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:32 AM, sherman brown said:

I use the superwinch lt3000 for our 26' sylvan and it doesn't even strain. but i watch to make sure the boat is pulled up to tight. these winches have a double braking system and are load-holding winches. but I get mine off eBay.

Sherman, 

Thanks for the advice, used the winch for the first time today and 

worked great. Did not even hesitate to pull the boat on. I did get the lt4000.

Thanks again,

Dan

15 minutes ago, pdsalmon said:

Sherman, 

Thanks for the advice, used the winch for the first time today and 

worked great. Did not even hesitate to pull the boat on. I did get the lt4000.

Thanks again,

Dan

getting the lt4000 just has a little more power which ni believe you didn't really need but it doesn't hurt anything, it just cost a few bucks more. but if it gives you peace of mind it's well worth the extra money. good luck, great fishing, and have a great season.