Inline boards diving.

I've been using TX 44 inline boards for pulling 300 copper and 10 color leadcore.  Been having issues with the board diving while reeling in a fish.  I realize you have to release the bail immediately till the board resurfaces but most of the problem is with newbies on the boat.  They want to haul back on the rod, even though I try to warn them ahead of time.  Lost several 300 coppers and meet rigs.  Gets pricey after awhile.  Any one have any suggestions to keep the board from diving?

The release that comes on the TX 44 is a pinch pad type that actually faces towards the board so the line will not release.  I really like the 44s cause they pull hard and don't drag back with the heavier long lines, like some other boards.  I guess I could change releases.

Try turning the pinch pad around so it releases out, not towards the board. Then when a fish hits, it will pull the line out of the pinch pad so it can’t dive. At that point it will only be connected at the back of the board, just like a yellow offshore planer board. If you twirl the line a couple times before you put it in the back pin l, it will keep the board from sliding all the way down the line to the fish once released.

You have to keep the rod tip pointed down, and it gets even more important the closer the board gets to the boat. I tell my customers if the Stbd board fires point it low and towards the Port boards. You can sweep sideways to gain line if you need to.