Oneida/Ontario Eyes

walteye

Heading up to Oneida next Friday for a couple of days then to the big pond for a couple more. Any good eye reports from Oneida or from the Chaumont Bay area of Ontario? The last few years Chaumont has been lousy for me-Black River Bay even worse. With riggers/dipseys/jets and lead in my arsenel- I was almost thinking about missing the Henderson Harbor/Chaumont area for eyes and going for Kings down by Mexico/Oswego area-unless the reports are good!

Thanks for any updates...

Walteye

I live on Oneida and fish it at least 3 days a week...The bite has been good although we aren't trolling yet other than pulling some spinner harnesses around the offshore humps. The program for me has been black jigs w/gulp 3 inch shad on and around the shoals. I havn't fished for kings this year but have been running for browns at least once a week out of mexico point and doing well on rapalas and cleos tight to shore.

Brian-thanks for the info. After jigging on the Susky with a friend for eyes at the end of the season-I would love to be jigging again. Last year a friend of mine, Todd Frank, said that he has been doing a lot of jigging on Oneida and it has been great-rather than just trolling. Hey-if I do well at Oneida-I may just stay there and hit the big O later this summer for kings. Looking forward to wetting a line again.

Walteye

your welcome. I see Todd Frank out there once in a while...pretty hard to miss that rig.The Oneida fish are getting bigger each year. Here is an 8' 2" jigged out of 7 ft. of water last weekend. Look at 43. 11.31.06 X 75.53.55.12 on a map. Fish that and anything that looks similar. Good luck.

photo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hit Oneida Friday and Saturday for eyes and whatever would be enticed to the end of my line. After jigging in the Susky in the spring-I wanted to try my luck at Oneida with the jigging poles. Headed to the Shackleton Shoal and Shackleton Point and jigged almost 5 hours with a smallie and a perch to my credit. I figured that trolling couldn't be much worse-so I started a troll pattern between the point and the shoals in 30-40'-3 color lead with shad raps and 2 oz snap weights with Dave's Kaboom lures. Ended the day with 9 eyes caught from 15-23 inches plus 5 perch. Saturday went back to the same area with the same program- by noon only had one eye in the boat. Left for greener pastures-the N/E section of the lake ! Pulled only Dave's Kabooms in silver/black and purple prism-limited out in 1 1/2 hours and continued to C&R up til 4 pm-totalling 12 eyes-same sizes as Friday. Went to Ontario for kings on Sunday.