Why not much trash talk about the Seneca Trout Derby?

32 minutes ago, blueghost1 said:

not fishing it for the first time since '85 Les... Good luck to your guys! You too Bob :) 

35 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Hopefully that isn't a bad omen....:lol:

I heard you out of towners skipped over to Cayuga Lake where you can catch them with a Micky D French Fry. You heard us locals have them scoped out. You're right. 🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, Hop said:

I heard you out of towners skipped over to Cayuga Lake where you can catch them with a Micky D French Fry. You heard us locals have them scoped out. You're right. 🤣🤣🤣

Nope , I do just fine catching fish on Seneca and usually place in this derby . Ask the other guys on the post...have other obligations that weekend. 

16 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Gonna miss seeing you out there Kevin! Hope all is ok,

I do remember the North Enders vs the South Enders once upon a time but when this lake can make you as humble as pie, things get quiet fast. 

Hey Mike! Yeah doing good. You? Been fishing Lake o with good results.  Will be at Sampson few weeks from now, just giving the derby a rest and have other plans this weekend.  Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, blueghost1 said:

Nope , I do just fine catching fish on Seneca and usually place in this derby . Ask the other guys on the post...have other obligations that weekend. 

Sorry Mr.Blue GOast, wasn't meant for you. My fat fingers on a tiny phone. Apologies. 

Going to miss ya there Kev.....but on the other hand....one less dangerous competitor to worry about.....kinda cold I know but this is the derby bud:lol:

I guess I would be considered a southender! Which I kinda like because there lots of other “Enders” you could be called.

anyway, yesterday I made 20 or 30 casts off my dock and had at least 6 or 7 nice landlocks chasing the spoon in. It was encouraging and fun to watch them in the crystal clear water. A couple were decent, 3 or 4 pounds. The last couple of years things have improved for sure.

Good Luck to the derby guys!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rolmops said:

I never really understood all the hoopla about the slimer derby

It is a multi-salmonid tournament first of all despite the National Lake Trout designation. In the past the derby brought in people (and revenue to localities) on a lower level but much as the Lake O tournaments. Some of us have fished it for over 50 years and have had our families and kids involved while they were growing up. For many years we camped at Sampson State Park and met a lot of like minded folks from all over the place so it was a neat social experience as well. At one point there were over 2500 participants and the prize money was much less than the $10,000 now possible for first place now. The fishing conditions have changed radically from the old days largely due to the clarity of the water and invasives problems making the fishing more challenging....but that is what it is all about for many of us....the challenge. It isn't about catching the MOST trout....it is about catching the largest trout and that is a real challenge. In short, the derby is challenging but FUN! (and there are a lot of side benefits to it):lol:

• Like 4

I’m with ya Fish Stix! Someone has to catch the biggest! Not about how many. Think Catch and Release if you can. Updated leader boards is a huge plus so as to not waste a fish. Looking foward to the nice weather this derby. 

IMG_4371.jpeg

• Like 3

Very impressive collection of plaques and trophies above! Well done all! Here's to hoping that someone on here wins some more shiny hardware and cash this weekend!

Meanwhile, only cool thing I've gotten at this derby is an anchor we caught with a dipsy last year :rofl:

20220529_111225.jpg.2d3db0db97aa9c8f56cee5d1e73857fc.jpg

The derby itself can be a lot of fun and the lake is accessible to boats of all sizes this derby was part of me getting back into trout and salmon trolling on my first boat (14 footer) I fished it 8 straight years and unfortunately in 2018 ad a rough experience (life issues not the derby fault) that combined with a tough fishing year pushed me away I am now looking to get back in just unfortunately busy this weekend this year I always used to think I was only an ok fisherman based on internet reports but I have 3 of those plaques on the wall and mostly good memory's from seneca

:lol::lol: Sounds as though you have a plan Ifishy....it would be good to see you there.

Edited by Sk8man