2023 Seneca Derby recap

Well, another year in the books. What a weekend weather wise. Fished all three days with a deep program thinking cold water still had some bruins waiting to come in with the bait. Slow was our best speed. No silvers for us. Caught fewer than I would of liked but they were a solid class of fish. Mostly in the 150-185ft. My son took his top two division spots. Really impressed how my boys are starting to run the boat. My brother on the other hand found his groove pulling wire and found some trophy size fish. Hats off to his crew as they took the top two spots. He’s put many years in that event and is a jerkin wire pro.  He knows that North end of the lake like no other.  Side notes: All our fish looked great, all released, and only one lamprey came in. Thanks again Steve (Roy’s boys) for the hospitality of Roy’s Marina, Roz and Larry are wonderful people. Congratulations to everyone that placed. Good seeing the friends out on the water as always. We had some funny moments!

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2047.jpeg

IMG_5919.png

IMG_5918.png

IMG_5907.jpeg

• Like 7

Congrats on the derby! We chased silvers first morning cause that’s what was biting best all week didn’t get any with size. Then the laker hunt started and we pulled in some good numbers and great looking lakers. Reel rages “pimp juice” took most lakers in the shallower water and a electric muffin Goldilocks and chicken wing took some silvers the first day. Gamble Rig on bottom took our biggest at 9.22 the last day. Fun derby can’t wait for next year!

• Like 1

Congrats to the Salotti boys.... they smoked it!:lol:  I managed to pull up a huge anchor and about 50 ft of rope with two nice spoons attached to the rope. Thank heaven for 30 lb See Flee mainline :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Congrats to the Salotti boys.... they smoked it!:lol:  I managed to pull up a huge anchor and about 50 ft of rope with two nice spoons attached to the rope. Thank heaven for 30 lb See Flee mainline :lol:

Was that in front of Lodi Creek?

Yes I once dropped a nice ultra-lite rod and reel overboard while perch fishing in 60 ft of water. Two years later I snagged it while jerking copper. I dried it out cleaned up the reel and back in business:lol:

• Like 3

Gill, yes, I leave it to the derby officials first if they want to keep, if not, we generally always release. 

I do find though that they a fiesty as heck on the scale and more times than not are swimming up the parking lot with the guy weighing trying to grab it 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a picture of the derby board from Stivers the final board? My brother got a 9.22 laker that put him in third place men’s on Monday 1130am they put his name on the board but didn’t update it online