Spin doctor help

Rookie question #2. If I wanted to run flashers/spin doctors on my riggers and dipseys how much distance in depth should I spread them out? Also am I able to run say 1 meat rig and 1 fly off each rigger? Or am I asking for tangles?

I hesitate to answer your questions because while I have ~3 years in this salmon "dog fight", there are members here that have 30-50 years. They have taught me a lot. Many thanks to them!

Let's face it. Gas is expensive. Gear is expensive. Your time is, well, limited. I highly recommend the Dan Keating series of fishing books. They can help reduce your learning curve significantly. I also recommend the Salmon School at the Niagara fishing show in Feb (I know, a long ways away but very worth it).

That said, many times 10 feet between dowrigger depths can work well. As far as downrigger depths versus divers, your divers are usually much futher back than the riggers so they are in a completely different zone than your riggers.

Your downrigger lure may be down 50 feet and 25 feet back from the ball. Your #1 dipsey will be out 100-180 feet back depending on the base plate setting (0-3) to get to the same depth. So they are in diferent areas of the water column. Dan Keating talks a lot about thinking in 3D when considering your rigs. The depth and the distance back for all the rods as a spread or program. 

One other thing to consider is where to put your "aggressive" rigs. I have made the mistake of putting my biggest, wildest rig on the deepest downrigger with my depth probe to help bring fish into the spread. I learned at the Dan Keating fishing class that the fish down deep in colder water and usually less aggressive (yes, subjective) than the fish up higher in warmer water. So many details...hope you got at least some value.

• Thanks 1