Lure distance behind the ball and running planar boards

I am by no means an expert, but I have read a lot from experts on this site. Usually I start in the morning with shorter leads behind the ball, maybe around 10-15 feet. I like to run my spoons a little bit longer leads than my flashers so they are aoound10 feet behind them. As the bite gets slower you can try to drop your rigs further back away from the balls for a little bit more stealthy approach. 

I have not heard of anyone really running a dipsy behind a planer board. Dispys are run by themselves off the side of the boat and have an adjustable weight that will pull them down and out away from the boat. The higher the setting the less depth you will get, but the further they will pull away from the boat. 

Planer boards are used for flat lines or any of the other weighted lines like lead core, copper, or weighted steel. Length of line behind the planer board really depends on what you are running. If for say you are running a 300' copper set up, you will let out the 300', then maybe a little more, and then attach to the planer release

Hope this helps

dodger and fly i run 10-15' behind the ball . on the riggers I'll run leads 20-40' back a lot longer than most people but i boat a hella lot of fish this way i have only been skunked 1x this yr june 1st. we all have are preferences. haven't caught a fish on the boards this yr so i put them away till i start walleye fishing at night.

back when I fished Lake Michigan for salmon it depended on what was working. I ran anywhere from 10' in deeper water and I have run as much as 100' when they were shallow. but most times I ran 10' to 30' and did well.

now I just fish Erie for eyes and I run 25' to 30' and catch fish.

Some 15 years ago when I asked the same question several "Old Salts" on this site talked about having ball depth and leader length adding to 100.  So if ball down 35, leader is 65, if ball down 90, leader is 10.  It seems to have worked for me except when I drop the ball down to 110.  Still haven't figured out leader length for that one yet.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always ran spoons shorter furthest 30-35 feet and plugs longer. I had seen  videos back in the 80’s of spoons action too far from the ball and it lacked. Similar with a dodger they seemed to kick more with shorter leads. At the end of the day switch up until it works.