Seneca Help

I will be taking the boat to Sampson this Thursday for some camping and fishing.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction of a good starting point on what to expect and what I should bring to target silver fish.  I have a formidable arsenal of gear at my disposal, but don't want to bring a ton of stuff that I wont need.  If I can expect fish fairly close to the surface I'd like to leave the long coppers at home.  I am also going to bring some bass/panfish gear as well so if there is a bite worth fishing, I'm all ears.  Fried perch on the campfire sounds awfully good to me!

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!

I’d say, wind dependent, skip across to the west side south of long point for your silvers. You might need to be 30-50 ft based on temps. Maybe early morning or late evening you might find them up near the surface. 2.5 mph or faster smaller color spoons seem to work well. Area north of Sampson called high banks might have some as well. If perch are still huddled up you can try for them in that 25-40 ft on the edges of the drops out front or a little north of Sampson. Bass is closed till June 15th but you’ll find them similar maybe a little shallower. Watch the wind if your not familiar with Seneca. South or North wind can make it bumpy quick there. Enjoy your vacation. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Frogger said:

I’d say, wind dependent, skip across to the west side south of long point for your silvers. You might need to be 30-50 ft based on temps. Maybe early morning or late evening you might find them up near the surface. 2.5 mph or faster smaller color spoons seem to work well. Area north of Sampson called high banks might have some as well. If perch are still huddled up you can try for them in that 25-40 ft on the edges of the drops out front or a little north of Sampson. Bass is closed till June 15th but you’ll find them similar maybe a little shallower. Watch the wind if your not familiar with Seneca. South or North wind can make it bumpy quick there. Enjoy your vacation. 

Appreciate the intel.  Thank you!

End of June/ most of July and into August Bass fishing in Sampson ive always had really good luck fishing the break wall on the North side of the marina, like right on the break wall, seems like they hang out pretty close to that.

As far as trolling goes, good luck as Lady Seneca doesnt always give it up easily. What ive learned is that if they are hitting you will be able to get them on a spoon game even though there are tactics that are probably more effective.

There is a really good, enthusiastic charter captain who has his home base at Sampson also.

• Thanks 1

I'll be around as well. Come find us down in the marina. 

If trolling, 1,2,3,5 color cores are productive right now. Long leads on the riggers with spoons. Down 10 to 25 foot. 

Deeper fish are taking gamblers behind traps. 

Personally, leave the coppers home. Our water is still cold after the big blow all weekend. Fish are still in 15 fow out to 300 foot. Orange has been the best spoon color in a variety of patterns and sizes. Current is a little wicked depending on area. You can't go wrong fishing the front door at the marina. 

If you wanna venture there's a decent brown bite in a few areas of the lake with LLS in the mix. More rainbows chewing than anything tho. Troll fast! 

See ya on the water. 

Nick 

• Thanks 1

That right there is the best info you are going to get....and it is at Captain Nick's second home:smile:

Thank you!  Great info!  Ill pack a few extra short cores/coppers and leave the deep stuff at home.  Im sure Ill be lurking around the marina a lot this week.

I will let you know how I do. 

21 hours ago, REEL STORIES said:

I'll be around as well. Come find us down in the marina. 

If trolling, 1,2,3,5 color cores are productive right now. Long leads on the riggers with spoons. Down 10 to 25 foot. 

Deeper fish are taking gamblers behind traps. 

Personally, leave the coppers home. Our water is still cold after the big blow all weekend. Fish are still in 15 fow out to 300 foot. Orange has been the best spoon color in a variety of patterns and sizes. Current is a little wicked depending on area. You can't go wrong fishing the front door at the marina. 

If you wanna venture there's a decent brown bite in a few areas of the lake with LLS in the mix. More rainbows chewing than anything tho. Troll fast! 

See ya on the water. 

Nick 

How's he gonna pull copper if he leaves em at home, Nick?!