Trolling Line Selection

Hey Guys,

What type of line is everyone using for flatline / planer board trolling this time of year? I switched to 30lb fleaflicker on all my rods last summer and have not respooled yet. Should I switch to something lighter - maybe 12 or 14 for trolling Cayuga right now or just stick with the heavy stuff? Is it worth using a flouro or hybrid line? flouro leader?

Thanks!

Matt

I guess I would recommend doing what you can afford to do. The 30# FF is a little heavy for flatlining, maybe taper it down to a long 8 - 10# fluoro leader. If you can afford to re-spool knowing that you'll need to re-spool again in a month or so to combat fleas then go for it.

In the long run you're better off setting yourself up with rigs dedicated to planer board/flatline, downriggers, divers etc.. That way you're not re-spooling all the time plus it gives you an excuse to buy more stuff :):beer:

DAN

I've talked to a guy at bass pro about this same thing and he told me if I buy the line there, he will take the line off my reels and put the line on an empty spool, and then spool the reels with what ever I buy. then swap them when I want to put the flea flicker back on. I'm not sure the guys name, but he has a shaved head in the fish dept. I would love to just buy new equipment, just not an option right now.