releases will not travel down the tow line on the otters

Your Otters will function better with 9.5" and 11.5" settings on the tow string. Give your rod gently jingles (insert joke here) to help the releases slide down. Power Pro or weedwacker line is slicker and easier for the releases to slide if your tow mast is not very high. Silicone on the tow line helps as others have said.

i don't have patience for this either. It happens though. Especially with light lines like BT set-ups. I grab the tow line and yank it towards me to put slack in the line. the release will then slide down the tow line. You may have to do this 3 or 4 times to get the furthest release down the tow line, but it saves time. I use Power Pro and have my tow line fairly high and even I have an issue. Copper and core aren't too bad.

Boards are the last thing I setup. With the port side board out where I want it, I count out my line for the drop back, then I put that rod in a port side rod holder & make sure the boat is going straight. (I use Laurick release.) I then make a slight curve to port so the board drops back towards the wake just a little. IE going slower than the boat. I attach the line/release & the drag of the lure pulls the release right down to the board where I want it. Line from the rod is let out with no tension from the reel & not allowed to touch the water, with rod held high. I don’t use a mast. My board line is the standard stuff and is attached to my window frame. I only go out 40-45 ft though as I don't want any "combat" type problems.

Tom B.

(LongLine)