Dog Fish from Braddocks

Rob

Caught one last year in the salmon river by the mouth. Had no clue what it was!! Took pictures and released it. Mine was smaller than yours and fought very hard. Thats looks like a nice size one, are they common and what should you do with them??

We released three that evening. All were about the same size.

Fishing for bullheads with worms and leaches these seemed to

be the only species hungry, beside a carp we released also.

They have many small teeth.

They do fight better than a bullhead!

We catch them on the Saint Lawrence once in awhile Bass fishing. I chuck them back in the water, cause I've never been one to kill wildlife for no reason, but I've been told by several people to toss any bowfin I catch on the shore. My understanding is they are fierce preditors and eat alot of the small bass. They seem to be feeding all the time, and I'm told they are considered junk fish and have no food value.

I was puzzled the first time I caught one........odd looking things with a nasty bite, but a good fighter.

You just gotta cook it right Gambler. Howz it go? Fillet the fish and soak in marinade of choice for several hours. Season and bake @ 325 for 25 min. or until the fish flakes with a fork. Garnish and serve on a plate. Throw away the fish and eat the plate :roll:

All depends on your taste and appitite, I reckon. If I was hungry enough I'd probably eat a goby :shock: umm umm good!

Fishtales- were right up from you, Bethlehem Twp. Where do you fish out of?

As far as BASS don't let that get out that bass are junk fish, or those guys on tv won't have a job.

tastes good floured and fryed, but thats just me..

Those puppies are ancient. I had one pull my rod off a dock fishing with a minnow and bobber at the Yacht Club (Sandy Creek, Hamlin) off the shore. I left the dock to get a closer look at a german shepard sized beaver. I heard a splash and got the line back after the bobber surfaced.