Just wanted to start a thread here on fishing in the St. Lawrence River.....We will be headed there for 4 days over the Memorial Day weekend. And of course will be putting a rod or 2 in the water. We usually fish anywhere from the Thousand Island Bridge to Cape Vincent, depending on fish reports/rumors. This will also be our boat shakedown trip for the season...with a new boat setup changed from last season. Changed from 2 Big Jon DR's off the stern to 2 Cannon short boom Mag 10A DR's of the stern and 2 long boom Mag 10 DR's on the side gunnels. We may even venture down around the Cape towards Black River Bay, not sure yet. Has anyone had any luck on that portion of the river yet or heard of any reports?.......we usually go for Walleyes, Northerns or Musky. Should be a fun time.....weather looks good for fishin, not too hot, nor bright skies......keep ya all posted.....

oh boy, a program.....I don't really have one for up there....The water is crystal clear up there. No weeds yet, this early in the season. The northerns are being seen now in the shallows off docks and shallow bays. The Eyes are hidden around structures still in probably 15 to 30 FOW. I might try bucktail jigs, dixie spinners w/ worms or trolling stickbaits for Walleyes. Same for northerns with spoons...

I am seeing the weather forecast now for the weekend as being a little warmer with sunny clear skies.........probably will do morning and evening runs for them......I always stop at the TI Bait store ask what they are hearing is working and adjust accordingly...it a place to start......Ever been up there?......Its really an awesome area, the main channel can get busy with boat traffic, but I try to stay away from all of that.....Eel bay is one of my favorites for drift trolling in about 7 to 10 foot of water.

Like I said, I don't have a plan....pretty much a seat of the pants plan depending on the day...

Thanks for taking the time to reply with some information, it's very helpful. I fish the river on occasion but not as much after the zebra mussels moved in. In those days I think I could catch fish on a bare hook anyway someone once told me about deep water trolling for pike in the river and you mentioned downriggers. I hope to try deep water trolling in the river for walleye and pike this year now that I have riggers. I would mainly drift fish in the past and would see fish stacked on the finder as the current took us out into the channel, now maybe I can target these deeper fish. Oh yea, the TI bait shop was our families first stop on every trip to the river. A good place to start. good luck

Have not heard much on the walleyes. Pike fishing has been consistent. Find a drop off area with structure near shallow water and you will find pike. Jigging has been productive. I am sure other applications are working as well. Walleye are usually good outside of Mud Bay this time of year. If you get a chance head down to Chaumont Bay. I have heard the pike fishing is excellent. FYI, musky does not open up until June 20th. They are starting to spawn and are stressed this time of year. Good luck on your weekend and give an update how you did.

Irish Hammer

Try the Madrid area east of Ogdensburg for walleyes. Reports coming in are that fishermen are hammering them. Just remember the river narrows and most of the fish are caught on the Canadian side (eh) so you need a Canadian license. Call TI Bait Store and they will go to Canada and have a license waiting for you. Give them a couple of days, but that's what I call service.

Bandit 49

Memorial Weekend Report.......skunk'd, skunk'd, skunk'd..........Managed to get 3 widdle perch, used them for bait, even considered using dynomite if I had some........Didn't fish as much as first anticipated, camp projects took priority, and the old "Honey Do" List kept getting bigger.....as usual. Headed on the river around mid morning on Saturday to Eel Bay looking for a deep hole that we always wanted to mark with gps.....got it now. It was a fishing trip and also a boat check trip with new DR's on the boat. The fishfinder was showing fish right on the bottom around Picton Island in 30 to 50 FOW. Trolling with DR's and had no takers........Saw alot of other boats searching too.....quick stops for a few minutes then off again to try another area. We ventured to the west side of Carelton Island for Eyes and made a couple of runs in the 30 to 40 FOW areas around channels bouys, but again no takers. Headed back to the rock shoals near Clayton where depths run 70 to 80 up to 15 FOW and thats where we got the widdle perch in about 50 FOW with Fish being shown on the FF stacked like cord wood at around 50 to 60 FOW. Tried Jigging to get some takers and again Skunk'd........Around 7pm went back out along main channel up stream from the TI Bridge and had some tail tasters on my minnow loaded jig but no biters. Figured could have been Eyes.

Will keep updating, hopefully with more to report.