catfish - where and when in the fingerlakes?

I did a search on catfish in the fingerlakes and came up with a goose egg.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to latch into a few channel cats, but don't know where to start. I've heard areas of the seneca canal and dresden outlet can produce.

Anyone have an idea of when and where in the fingerlakes? A friend says use shrimp for bait.

Thanks!

Personally, I think the Susquehanna River is your best bet for big channel cats,, They are more concentrated and easier to catch than in the big lakes... Guys can catch a dozen in a few hours on a good night... Use big live or dead minnows or dead sawbellies , cut up suckers or chubs ... that sort of thing... Several access points on the river .. from shore or by small boat... Fish in the dark or don't bother... I have caught 10 pounders but they get a lot bigger..bob

The Seneca River seems to be full of Channel Cats. I know the area from around Port Byron to past Cross Lake is very good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the action goes far east and west of that area. I fish the Cross Lake area and catch so many Catfish that they become annoying (because everytime I think I've got a huge Bass or Pike it's just a medium sized Catfish!) This is when I'm fishing Sonars and Stickbaits so you can imagine how many Catfish could be caught if you were really targeting them.