Rescue off Olcott this AM!!

Dear Fellow Fisherman,

31 ft fishing boat went down QUICK this AM off Olcott around 8 AM. Some friends were close by and came over to see if they needed help! Captains Linda & Skip Mogray of Harry O Charters managed to get all six people out of the water & into their boat. Were greeted at the harbor dock with a host of ambulances. Excellent boat handling by Captains Linda & Skip prevented any loss of life. My hats off to Linda & Skip for a fine job on saving 6 people.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

Heard talk of it on the radio this morning :o . Was sure glad to hear everyone was ok. My hat's off to those who helped save the lives of all on board :yes::clap: . I did not hear why it went down.

Shawn

Dear Fellow Fisherman,

The whole story will be on Channel 2 TV Buffalo @ 11 PM tonight. Google Channel 2 News for pictures taken of the sinking. Warning! These pictures can be upsetting if you are bothered by deep water or fear of sinking!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

I don't know if this could have done it, I had a 28BaHa and I was onboard at the dock when the bulge pump came on, after about 5min. it it didn't go off so I checked below to see what was going on. Well the hose on the wash down pump came off and left the pump running full bore.I think the bulge pumps (2) should be able to keep up with the wash down pump till the batteries went dead,shouting down all three pumps. Glad there was a happy ending even if they did lose there boat. :):)

There but by the grace of God go I.

Copy the captain's name, and plug it into a google or yahoo search. If it is the same Anthony LaRock (from Burt, NY) it is not the first rescue he has been involved in. GOOD people are not forgotten!

Interesting!!!!

CC

PS. I'm moving my life jackets out of the cabin!!

Could be the inboard engines were leaking water from a coolant hose or manifold, that's a lot of water to deal with for bilge pumps.

That makes sense Mark, If anyone remembers the sight seeing boat on Lake George that sank with alot of seniors on board, thats what I was told happened there. A raw water intake hose came undone somehow as well as being overloades as I recall. That was tragic with multiple fatalities.

Congrats to the quick thinking captain as well as the rescuers.

Could be the inboard engines were leaking water from a coolant hose or manifold, that's a lot of water to deal with for bilge pumps.

That makes sense Mark, If anyone remembers the sight seeing boat on Lake George that sank with alot of seniors on board, thats what I was told happened there. A raw water intake hose came undone somehow as well as being overloades as I recall. That was tragic with multiple fatalities.

Congrats to the quick thinking captain as well as the rescuers.

I remember that and I also remember a time with a friend that just bought a boat at an auction and wanted to try it out on a local lake. It was a bow rider bayliner with a four cyl. inboard. We were out in the lake tooling around and it seemed as though the boat suddenly wouldn't plane as good. I decided to look in the engine area and found the hose off on the discharge ports to the lake and it was pouring water into the bilge at a very high rate. Needless to say I hollered get this thing to shore QUICK!...Luckily we were close to the launch and made it back...Whew..all for a $1.99 hose clamp.

Mark

Would make sense to always check the bilge area after firing the engines on an inboard powered boat to make sure a soft plug or clamp somewhere didn't work loose, allowing water to pour into the bilge.

I just got off the phone with Tony's dad, everyone is doing fine. I Spoke to Tony saturday afternoon and he said he did not hit anything on the way out and that he

did not know how the water was getting in the boat and that it all happenen very fast.

We were about a mile west of Tony at the time and things did happen very fast. From the time it came across the radio that a boat was taking on water to the time she went under it seemed like less than five minutes.

Yes cbish he is the same Anthony LaRock. You are right, in this case someone was looking out for this good person and his six guests.

Jim

Jim,

Yes cbish he is the same Anthony LaRock. You are right, in this case someone was looking out for this good person and his six guests.

That is remarkable......WOW. What a role model and object lesson of sowing good seeds and reaping good deeds!!

God is good!!

CC

Wow...Anthony is a real hero :yes::yes:

They may never know what happened? I know I had a scary encounter a few years back with a raw water line to the wash down pump. If that line fails, water can flow in faster than you can pump it out. Our line was crushed while having work done at the repair shop and we didn't know until we launched and put the boat in the water.

Since I have my kids aboard often, I take safety even more seriously than I would normally. Last season I added a ditch bag to the boat. I keep all my safety equipment in it (flares, air horn, whistles, glow sticks, bottled water, power bars, knife, rope, first aid kit, batteries & a handheld vhf radio. I still need to add a handheld gps.) I do feel better knowing If we would ever have to bail out in a hurry, everything is right there and I can just chuck it in the water and go. Hope I'm never in such a situation though. For anyone interested, here is the one I have on my boat. Money very well spent....IMHO.

http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/rapid ... -1259.html

I was out on the lake when this happened, was definitely a tense few minutes!!!! I do need to bring up the a few issues I heard with the coast guard however.... first off, they need to train their people to speak CLEARLY. I was in wilson and imagine my reception was better than those in Olcot and there were times where it was hard to understand the guy at the coast guard station and not due to static. Secondly, I was about ready to flip out when the coastie told the rescue boat that they weren't allowed to bring the people in to shore for medical attention because they wanted them to stay there so they could mark the sunken vessel when their boat showed up in 20 mins!!!! They should have simply asked for their GPS location and then told them to take the people into shore where an ambulance would be waiting. I thought it was kinda ridiculous and was about to say so on the radio when another boat chimed in (kinda ticked) that they would stay there and wait for the coasties while they took the people to shore. It was pretty neat though to see the coast guard boat flying down there. They had to be doing 60mph in those choppy seas!

I was also suprised not to hear the SOS from the sinking boat. He's lucky that it was a weekend and someone saw him. Not sure why there was no SOS. Maybe he went downstairs to see what the issue was and by then it was too late. The woman on the radio did yell that someone was still on the boat when it was going under... maybe that was the captain trying to figure out what the hell was going on. If I had to guess, I'd say it took less than 3 mins to sink from the initial radio call of a boat sinking.

Nick

I might agree with you on the clarity of the enunciation from the buffalo group at times. There have been times when one of the radio operators has been speaking too low in tone and a little fast for clear understanding (I know this ...cause I was thinking of my son who sounds like he is talking from down in his shoes :dull: most of the time and this one radio operator sounds just like that). I have two radios on board and both receive the same way....when that radio man is on the set. Not to be critical of ones ability to speak clearly but just some people have better "radio" voices than others.

Mark

Nick, we also watched this from about 1 mile off and also wondered why no SOS. Tony is a good friend of UnkelJim's and myself and what he told us later that day is that once he realized the boat was sinking, he could not get back to the radio, easily any ways, and the Harry O Charters was already on the scene. He was more concerned at that time with getting his passengers in vests and off safely than making a call for help that was already there. If he were out there alone and needed to make a call for help, I know Tony, he'd follow the boat to the bottom to get off a mayday if he had to. The guy in the cabin was a friend of Tony's getting vests for everyone from what I understand, but got caught in there as the boat went down quicker than one would imagine. Great job and thanks to all that assisted, as we all should do when the need arises.

Lou

• 3 weeks later...

I was an Observer on 5 more minutes team the initial mayday was one mayday only Capt Tony looked at me and versa that was 0812.We heard from Coast Gueard call at 0836 Olympia and somethih Choice and incident ID's gave all I had I copied it down to Pro Am after she said the Sherrifs should have that info pointin to the station I said Lady I got a bad back and my legs killin me she took it over and then just left it wih the Sherriffs Glad I didn't have a Hundred paperclipped to it. Good News is Everyones OK

My dad bought a boat out of florida that was use to salt water. The first time out we launched from Arneys in sodus and by the time we got to the piers water was starting to come above the floor. Luckily we made it back to Arneys in time. It was the exhaust manafolds had rusted where they connect to the outdrive. Great job by the rescuers. After almost 8 years in the coast guard I have seen way to many people in that situation, and it is always great to see a happy ending to a grave situation.