Weather patterns off rochester.

Because of a lot of reasons I never seem to be able to get out early in the morning and by noon or later there seems to be a breeze most of the time.This prevents me from going out to the 200 feet line because frankly I do not think I have enough boat (19 foot open bow outboard) to deal with surprises.

Is the morning usually less windy? or is it mostly the same?

Thanks for your opinions.

A lot depends on the kind of weather that is in the area at the time. Warm southwest winds kick up in the afternoon but often die off as you approach dusk. This can be one of the best times to fish. Cold winds from the north sometimes blow all night and the morning can be just as bad as any other time. Monitor the central lake Ontario buoy to see if the winds and waves are picking up or dropping off before you go out.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/45012.html

The only time at the Genny when it's not calmer in the morning is when we are into a "three day blow." These only happen roughly 3 times a year and there always from the west. I.E. constant 3 or 4 footers.

Otherwise, from Mid-May through mid-Sept, it's definitely calmer in the morning. The wind usually picks up or shifts (if it's going to) around 10 or so. The summer winds generally calm down around 5-6 PM but then any residual swells need time to smooth out.

If you look at a chart, you'll see that Big O aligns with the prevailing westerlys and that Rochester is in a slight cove. I.E. fairly calm water when wind is from the S, SW or west. The only time Rochester really gets hammered is when the wind is directlly out of the N or NE.

Tom B.

(LongLine)