set up? Your opinions

I fish out of an 18.5 LUND, that has 2 down riggers and boards. There are usually 3 of us who fish on a regular basis. I normaly fun a dipsy on the the outsides with SD and fly and then stack 2 rods on each down rigger. This is only our second year salmon fishing on Lake O. Still learning, I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Slapshot (Tony)

with the colder temps still run some stix off the board 100 ft back with a couple split shot for a littlemore depth cohos,steelies love the surface bite on calm days thats when the bugs hatch and if you pay attention you will see them hiting the surfach even in the middle of the lake .put your stackers 15 ft up and stagger your rigger depth so you cover more water50 on one and 45 on the other then you got 50 45 35 and 30 covered just a thought to cover more water then target in on the hot zone ifyou change to the zone and it shuts down go to orig set up as sometimes the spread brings them in to the hot spoon its not uncommen to have 1 hot rod due to total setup so if that happens dont pull everything and go to 1 color .unless its the boards then get a close match to each pattern

I would loose the stacked riggers and buy some "junk lines." A 10 color and a 400 Copper should do you well most of the time. Run them off planer boards one off each side to get them away from your wire divers. This adds stealth to your presentation.

Like YT said buy some junk lines and add that to your arsenal. Then add cheaters to your 2 rigger rods. You could easily run 2 dipseys, 2 lead/copper, and 2 riggers (with cheaters). You could have 8 baits in the water and be able to cover alot of different water.

I agree with Legacy and Yankee Troller. I would add a 300' and 400' copper off of the boards. Last season those 2 copper rigs were my top producers.

Pkomrowski, cheaters are a 6 - 10' leader with a swivel on each end that you attach to one of your rigger rods to add another spoon. Attach the spoon to one of the swivels. Let out the lure on the main line, put it in the rigger release and put the rigger down 5 - 10' and attach the cheater (empty swivel end) to the line. You can add a rubberband that is half hitched around the cheater and put in the swivel of a fixed cheater or leave it off for a sliding cheater. You then put the rigger at the depth you want to fish. I prefer the fixed cheaters because you always know where that spoon is in the water column. After you get a hit, you can put that spoon back in the exact depth to duplicate your first hit. Cheaters can be a little frustrating at first. You will get some tangles but, they are worth the hassle.

Junk lines refer to stuff that you get from the scrap yard AKA the "junk yard." I.E. metal. They include Wires, lead cores, copper lines. Lots of threads on them. Suggest you do some searches on previous threads.

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)