Cayuga 5/30-5/31

two weeks ago I had good luck on the west shore on the south end in 150' on bottom with green and black alpena diamonds for lakers. The lakes seem to be rolling over though, so the right depth will be changing. if you stay on the east shore, i would head north. the bottom contour is hard to follow south of myers, and I never had much luck there. Like i said that was 2 weeks ago, and colors change by the day. I would say troll on bottom @ 120' to start. Greeen and black, purple and black, blue and black, have always been good colors. If you are going for browns, rainbows I would suggest the south end. two weeks ago I had steady action off the planer boards in 15', they should be moving deeper now. rainbow colored stick baits, silver and black and green/firetiger, were hot then. let me know how you do.

Tight Lines!

That's good info! What speed were you trolling for the browns/rainbows with planar boards? How far behind the planars are the lures?

I'm having a tough time this season. We ran south-east end of Cayuga on the 24th from ~7am - 9:00am-ish, then up to Milliken until noon. Ran downriggers, planar boards, and flatline straight behind the boat. All topwater fishing was with Rapalas, 3ft divers - 20 ft divers. Downriggers tried all types and color spoons.

Not a single bite all day. Was idling with a drift sock behind boat, not very accurate speed info. 0.5-1.5mph is best guess.

Not a single bite all day...gotta figure out what I am doing wrong!

I don't have any firsthand knowledge this season, unfortunately, but I would imagine the east side from Myers north to Milliken would be a good bet. 60 - 80 fow to start and push out to 100 - 150 fow as the morning progresses, all the above colors are staples for Cayuga (green, black, purple). Flasher/fly and dodger/fly combos should also produce.

Scruffytoad - if you're basically drifting I would say you're going too slow. Personally I try and keep 2.0 mph or better.

DAN

i have no way of measuring my speed but i would say i was trolling 2-3 mph, pretty quick. I was running my lines about 200' back and 50' out off the planer boards. most of the action was twards the middle of the south end in 15'-20' of water. the rainbow colored thunderstick jr. did most of the catching. all on shallow diving stick baits. As i said earlier this was 2 weeks ago, and thing change alot this time of year. Early bite seems to be alot better. I may get out during the week this week, i'll keep you guys posted.

P.S. if you are trolling down to .5 mph make sure that your lures still have action at that speed, not many do. I always check the action next to the boat before i send a lure out. If the lures not working, it's not going to help you much.

Myers to the plant sucks right now. Don't feel bad everyone. It sucks right now.

Transition time is in full swing. I fished hard all weekend for 2.5 fish. My neighbors had it tough too.

But start in 50 to 60 ft. run a couple of top lines and a couple of riggers close to the bottom.

52 degrees on top and 45 down 100. The fish are so scattered, you just have to get lucky and run over a few. I hate this time of year.

I almost think you would be better off fishing boards and shallow riggers at the south end to start.

RR

Fished the southend Fri, Sat, Sun, Friday fished from 6:30 am till about 9:00 am

2 for 5 both browns 8.5 and 6.5 lbs, one of the 3 missed was larger,( broke line) didn't

check leader :@ . Saturday fished from 6:30am til around 10am with a break to tow a

carver back to the marina. we did 6 3 to 4 lb browns in this time missed a few more.

Sunday the water was 5 degrees warmer t6han the day before. Did 1 brown farther up

the east shore where the water wasn't so warm, went farther south and turned and headed

back and called it a day spent a little over an hour out Sunday. Took the day off Monday.

All fish caught on riggers and spoons and on planer boards with sticks.

Splitshot115

Fished the southend Fri, Sat, Sun, Friday fished from 6:30 am till about 9:00 am

2 for 5 both browns 8.5 and 6.5 lbs, one of the 3 missed was larger,( broke line) didn't

check leader :@ . Saturday fished from 6:30am til around 10am with a break to tow a

carver back to the marina. we did 6 3 to 4 lb browns in this time missed a few more.

Sunday the water was 5 degrees warmer t6han the day before. Did 1 brown farther up

the east shore where the water wasn't so warm, went farther south and turned and headed

back and called it a day spent a little over an hour out Sunday. Took the day off Monday.

All fish caught on riggers and spoons and on planer boards with sticks.

Splitshot115

See what I mean!!!! :D

I was going to run down but decided to work my spots fro nothing.

RR

Thanks for the update Scott and setting me straight rustyrat on the Myers - Milliken troll. I would have thought by now the laker bite would have picked up.

Standard M - F, 9-5 administrative assignment is killing my fishing time. Need to go back to working shift :devil::@

DAN

my fishing partner was on the lake saturday. he did very good on lakers at long point. he was fishing from the point to a mile north of it. 100 - 120fow, down 90ft. when the sun got high he worked out to 300 and caught a 11lb laker on a wire rod out 325. he was fishing solo and said he stayed busy until he left at 1;00.