Irondequoit action. 5/23 & 5/24

krash3470

Man was it a beautiful weeked, and the fishin wasn't too bad either. Trolled the east and west, south end of the bay. From the bridge south seemed to be the best, but we managed several sheep head with the largest at about 9lbs. Caught a 7.5 pound and a 2.5 pound pike. A couple medium silver bass, one large mouth that we lost at the boat, and a 6.5 pound carp.

Here are a few pic's from the weekend.

PqPDnKS.jpg

aVyPwvJ.jpg

aVyPGui.jpg

gx1hFIKJ.jpg

gx1hFLeS.jpg

aVyPQsS.jpg

I haven't tried eating sheep head, I always thought they were similar to carp. I will say there are tons of them in I-Bay though. I catch a few every time I go there, since they like to congregate in the south end, on the flats. What surprised me, is that they hit relatively large sized rapala tail dancers. I would have figured the lures were way to large for their mouths, which are really pretty small for how big they get. That one in the pictures was like pulling a tank out of the water.

The colors were all black and silver, the lures that worked the best were the rapala tail dancers, j-11's, and husky jerks. The fish were hitting in the 7-18 ft range, closer to shore in the morning, deeper in the afternoon. The big pike was caught on the husky jerk in about 14 - 16 ft of water.