Probe break-away cable

As long as the cable has a lower # then your mainline downrigger cable you should be fine for your breakaway set up. With that being said check your # rating and terminations throughout your rig to make sure.

Just my 2 cents-- Use your other riggers for your deep side- keep that rigger Well away from the bottom :o .

Jax, I thought I was keeping it away from the bottom. I didn't know that the counter skipped about 40 feet as you let it out until the cable went limp. Now we set that one with the fishfinder. The probe was wet anyway and didn't work so we fished the next 2 days without it anyway.

Waterlogged, I'd appreciate that. Any tips on keeping the probe dry. Right now I don't think I can afford to change the set-up from the 840 or upgrade probes so I'll have to deal with it. PM me if you have an extra you can do without.

If your fishhawk probe gets wet inside it's probably a bad o ring and end cap. I had the same problem last year.

Google fishawk, they have new owner or parent company, I got a new cap and 3 o rings for around $12 ( I think) and quick shipping, nice friendly CSR's. If you need a new "used" probe, since I am guessing yours is on the bottom of the lake, they do show up in the classifieds here, good luck.

Try to locate an industrial supply house in Syracuse, in the yellow pages. (I know they have them there just like they have them in Rochester) The 150 Lb cable is 0.031" diameter. Ask for stainless stranded cable in the 0.020 to 0.025" range.

You can also get it through the McMaster catalog.

Tom B.

(LongLine)