French River, Ontario report

Well, just back from our annual pike fishing trip to Northern Ontario.

Wow!

Our group of 6 landed 380 northerns in 3.5 days of fishing..nothing super

big, but we had 49 over 22" long, and 4 or 5 in the 7-8" range. The average

size was probably 19-20".

Stayed again at the French River Lodge on the lower river.

Now, weather permitting....time to get the big boat in the slip for walleye this

weekend!

John

• 2 weeks later...

two times, I'm heading up there in a few weeks. Any tips you might be able offer? We are staying at Wolseley Bay, but planning to pull the boat and tow it to Hartley Bay for a day of fishing that section. Did you run the rapids down to the bay, and if so, is it difficult for a first timer to do?

Pizzaboy, What week are you going to be there? I'll be staying at FRL the 20th to the 27th. I was searching for fishing reports for the french and came across this thread. I know that Sault Ste. Marie Michigan isn't exactly in your area but we do have some killer Atlantic and Steelie fishing here! If you are gonna be there that week look for a green alumacraft with Michigan Reg # or a black Lund with PA#'s (dad's boat).

Pizzaboy:

We did not run the rapids. River was high enough too, but why bother? We

had awesome fishing right where we were.

Pretty much every area we went to we got fish. Particularly Crombie Bay, but

the water was way up, and dropped about 6 inches while we were there, and I would

guess more by now.

Imp size Daredevles, red and white, by far the number 1 bait. 8-10 fow. Really

just hit any place that has an weeds/structure.....

We haven't done so in years, but we had such a great time we're thinking about

going back in September once I'm done chartering here....

John

Times two, Thanks for the help, I have plenty of daredevils to bring. Parepadarappa, I will be there the 20th- 23rd, but staying on a different section of the river. If it were up to me, I would be staying for the whole week, but my partner can't stay that long. I am hoping to pull the boat one day and head to Hartley Bay and fish that area of the river, at least to check it out while I'm up there. I will look for your boat if I get to your area. I will have a green and white Sylvan 195 pro select with n.y. stickers.

PizzaBoy:

Good Luck!

The road into Hartley Bay is mostly gravel , mostly good. They got 700K to make

improvements, so there are a couple of spots under construction. Hartley Bay

guys are nice, and will give you the straight scoop.

I get to do lots of great fishing each year....as work permits from S. Carolina to

French River. French River is by far my favorite place!!

Please post a report on how you do,,,,

John

Times two, Thanks for the help, I have plenty of daredevils to bring. Parepadarappa, I will be there the 20th- 23rd, but staying on a different section of the river. If it were up to me, I would be staying for the whole week, but my partner can't stay that long. I am hoping to pull the boat one day and head to Hartley Bay and fish that area of the river, at least to check it out while I'm up there. I will look for your boat if I get to your area. I will have a green and white Sylvan 195 pro select with n.y. stickers.

Sounds like we are only taking my dad's boat, we had a guy back out on us at the last minute, so no need to take two boats. Ask James at Hartley Bay where they are at, he won't steer you wrong. And if you guys are looking for someone to tie a good one on with, James is your guy. He and I have had some good drunks together. I have no idea how the hell he makes it back home on some nights.

Pizzaboy,

My father just got back from the French. He said the water is the highest he has seen it in years. The fishing for pike was great but the walleye bite was tough. The weather was a little on the crappy side. They had snow up there a week and a half ago (4"). He talked with a group of guys that did go down and fish Georgian Bay. They did some eyes and pike down there.

Good Luck. Be careful, I guess there have been a lot of black bear encounters up there recently. They had one on the island my dad was staying on. He showed up every day. He was swimming back and forth from the next island over right around the time everyone put their garbage out for the day.