vertical cowbells

Howdy All,

In a recent issue of Great Lakes Angler, I saw a little article/ad for cowbells that attach to the downrigger cable above the ball.

Now I cant find the magazine, and I'm too cheap to buy another copy.

Anyone read the same issue that could perhaps forward the info on how to contact the company that sells these items that I can't live without ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Rusty

I have run these before. In my opinion, the regular ones work better. Yes I know it is a pain in the butt to reel in the fish with all the gear but you have to go with what works the best. I do think they would work good for bringing kings into your spread.

Hey Gambler

Do you think the reg ones make any big difference? Was looking to buy the lehr jensen lake troll flasher, was going to try it with a dipsy and a spoon. Also it says it good for trout, any truth to it. Have a may 4,5,6th trip planned. Trout in the morning, maybe salmon in the afternoon and walleye at night.

Thanks Ron

I haven't done it in a few years, but I used to clip a large set of Cowbells to the ball, and then a pinchpad release on the end of the cowbell, then run a short lead to the spoon. Using the Cowbell as an attractor seemed to work for the lakers on Owasco.

btfc1752,

I have some of the Luhr Jenson blades. They have a lot of drag. I would buy the Hammerhead or S&S blades (if you can find them). If you can't find Hammerheads in your area, shoot me a PM and I will help you find some. I have not seen the S&S blades in years. Good luck.

• 3 months later...
Hey Gambler

Do you think the reg ones make any big difference? Was looking to buy the lehr jensen lake troll flasher, was going to try it with a dipsy and a spoon. Also it says it good for trout, any truth to it. Have a may 4,5,6th trip planned. Trout in the morning, maybe salmon in the afternoon and walleye at night.

Thanks Ron

I think you have your priorities mixed up.....You should be fishing Kings in the morning, and then Kings in the afternoon, and then Kings in the evening. No need fofr trout b/c the Kings are on fire all over the lake this year.

Hey Gambler,

Should you not follow Yankee's advice to just work the Kings, my Dad and I have had great success with them working Lakers on Lake Champlain. I'd say the out work lures/sppons without them 3:1. Whatever you choose to fish for, I'm jealous as I won't be up until Aug 25th! Good luck!

L.J.

Walleye....I was giving btfc1752 some friendly advice. I have no idea why he would want to target Laker soi nthe morning when the King action is slammin. I know of guys this week going out with 6 rod spreads and getting 12 bites in a few hours from Olcott to Oswego. Why go farming for lakers when you can get into some nice King action ALL DAY LONG?

there must be two Yankee Trollers i see some guy under the same name posting under the bass Yes Bass section,,, now if you want a bass go to the hudson with me next year in the spawn and hook into 12 to 25lb strippers for a day or 4 but ya gotta use light line and tackle ........

btfc1752,

I would recommend fishing kings first. Then around 11 am when the king bite slows, switch over to lakers. Don't listen to Yankee Troller, He is just mad because he can't get lakers to bite! :shock:

Hey Yankee,

Don't get me wrong - the whole reason for my trip up from NC next month is to catch the Kings you all leave behind for us rookies. But since he mentioned the Lakers, I figured I'd share my experiences - since I'm just beginning to learn about Kings:) With as little time as I get on the water each year, I'll be happy if I get a perch! jk - I've got to top my #26 from my rookie season:)

L.J.

• 2 years later...

When looking at cowbells the verticle and the common type that goes on your line are two different animals. The verticle one's have become popular with atlantic salmon and brown fisherman especially here on lake champlain and other small inland lakes while the regular one's still rule as the best lake trout setup.