snakeheads in local waters?

A few years ago somebody caught one near the power plant in Slaters Creek.That one had probably been released there by somebody who did not want his aquarium fish that big.It is however very improbable that any snakehead can survive our winter water temps.

I was fishing in Sodus in early May and found what I thought was a snake head floating next to my boat. I showed it to a local long time charter chaptain and he informed me it was a mudpuppy. Captain Joey

In the summer of 2008 there was a confirmed infestation of the northern snakehead in Ridgebury Lake and Catlin Creek near Ridgebury, New York. By August, 2008 the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation had collected a number of the native fish, and then poisoned the waters with CFT Legumine, a liquid rotenone formulation. After the poisoning the NYS D.E.C had to identify, measure and additionally process the fish to adhere with Bureau of Fisheries procedures before disposal. The Treatment Plan was operated under several agents, and New York State Police were placed on stand-by incase of protests of local residents of the area.[1]

A new concern is that this fish's spread is getting close to the Great Lakes, which it may enter and disrupt that ecosystem.

When the snakehead was found in Crofton, the piscicide Rotenone was added to the three adjacent ponds.[1] This method of containment killed all fish present in the water body to prevent the spread of the highly invasive snakehead. The chemical breaks down rapidly, and has a half life in water of one to three days.[6][7]