night trolling

I have caught lakers through the ice after dark, and i try to get on the water for trolling a good 1/2-1 hour before sunrise. I have been thinking about going out a couple hours early and dropping down some glow spoons. Has anyone had any luck in the dark? This would be in the fingerlakes. I have also heard stories of my Great Grandfather going out after dark with a lantern to attract the baitfish, and the trout would follow. It's something i plan on trying this year, let me know if it would be a waiste of my time.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have done this in the past on Keuka lake. Have caught some nice lakers either or method worked. We made light to attach to our rod holders and shine over the sides and speed net sawbellies when we could and rig them up. Jigging with spoons also work but not as good. Been chasing eyes lately but now you got me thinking might switch it up every now and then. Hope this helps and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually watched an episode on In Fisherman where they were trolling Lake O after dark for Kings and they smacked them pretty good. Just when everybody else was coming in for the night they were headed out. Then again with any of those shows it might of took them a week to get the 1/2 hour worth of footage I saw.

Lake Ontario at night ........ WHY?? When you can catch them in the day. I can understand fishing walleye at night when they come into the shallows where you can get them with a small boat or Swordfish cause they only feed at night.

Besides, I have a hard time seeing in the dark.

CC