humminbird 565

Justin

I have a humminbird 565 that works pretty good until the wind picks up and the water gets a little choppy the it loses bottom. i t starts flashing 4.6 , 1.2 and etc. i have adjusted the angle a few times with no change.Any ideas on how to fix it.

I have one and my issue is that it loses bottom at high speeds, but so did my old Eagle. I would check the bolt and nut on your transducer. If it's not loose then call hummingbird Customer service. You might have a tansducer that's a defect. They should take care of you.

This may sound to simple but check how far below the water line the transducer is mounted and how close it is to the prop wash and bubbles of the main engine or kicker

Just a couple ideas

Try:

www.sideimageforums.com

and direct your question to Greg Walters.

This is the unofficial sideimaging website of humminbird and Greg is a customers service expert.

He helped me out big time with my 575.

I can honestly say that I never had such good and caring service from anyone as I had from the humminbird people.

I had a problem with water squirting up because the transducer is so big.They figured out a solution and sent me a small rubber boot that solved the problem.All of this for free.

I'd have to guess that what's going on is what Jax suggested. We had an old Lowrance with a transom mounted 'ducer that would do the same thing. As soon as it got choppy we'd lose bottom and get all kinds of vertical lines running through the screen. Once it calmed down again we had the screen back to normal. After messing with it for the better part of a season I re-mounted the 'ducer further away from my prop and it was a whole lot better. I now run a thru-hull 'ducer on my Humminbird 1157C and we never have that issue because the 'ducer is always in the water and away from all the bubbles that the props make. Transducers just don't like air bubbles and turbulent water. You might try moving it to an area on your transom that is less affected by turbulent water. If you're still having problems with customer service at Humminbird let me know and I can make a call or two to them for you. I'm kind of surprised that they hadn't gotten right back to you...they're generally regarded as one of the best with their customer service.