Dipsey question "NuBie"

No not at all. You can run mono but you get a lot of stretch from mono.you can use braided line which some people do use but when the fleas are bad forget it.if you want to get deep wire is the way to go. Some days that is all that is taking hits some days it's the riggers. try a set up and see if it's what you want.Just my opinion

They are little critters that have tails that they use to wrap around your line and are a real pain in the butt you can have them get so bad that they go up your line1 to 3 feet if you don't use the right line forget braid they love that stuff.They also love the heat they come on strong when it gets hot but usually gone by september (not all gone but manageable).they came from big ocean vessels rinsing out there bilge's and tanks from the salt water and the fleas had No problems adapting to fresh water.the same way the zebra mussel and Gobi's came from.They have fishing line that is called flea flicker in 20 lb and 30 lb and it does a good job keeping them off but they can still hang on a little bit I use Andie pink 30 lb line and it works enough so you can fish.If you do a search you might find some other articles on this subject.I'm pretty sure there is a better way to explain them to you but this is the best I can do.They are mostly in Lake O and I think I heard that they might be in the finger lakes also but I'm not 100% sure

I am a season under my belt "newbie" also but spooled with 30lb PowerPro braid last summer to pull dipseys. Fleas do attach but my personal experience is not that bad. Don't be afraid to use the braid, it'll work fine and the $$ is half of wire.