Upwelling???

This was taken from channel 13 news .....If you’re a boater, you may have noticed recently that the temperature was in the 50s, but it dropped back into the lower 40s late last week. This was the result of a process called upwelling. Remember that the water temperature below the surface is much colder than at the surface. A strong southerly wind has a tendency to push warm water towards the north shore of the lake (towards Canada) causing cold water to rise from deeper parts of the lake. This basically creates a circular pattern, with the warmer water at the surface being replaced by the colder water from below. On the other hand, a north wind will move warm water south (toward Rochester) and cold water ‘upwells’ on the north shore of the lake..... Has any one noticed this? I was on the boat sat and i believe the surface temp was 53 then

yes ....twenty years ago..... this is a normal occurance on any big waters (deep waters) lake ..but thank you for bringing it up again as many new guys need to arm themselfs with every bit of info and to what might be going on to there favorite temps .this can make a difference to brown fishing the shore in august after sustained strong south wind,,, to dropping stuff down 120 ft to find cold water after a north blow 3 days later that is why a good temp probe or radio or fishing network is needed to fish the great lakes...we already got the network thing here with the reports and info like you just shared so old hat to some of us and a new topic to many... thank you for sharing Ray K.

I saw that same upwelling during the fall LOC a couple of years ago off the river. It was the biggest temp change i had ever seen. At one point the current was so strong my compass had me heading NW with a speed over ground (GPS) of 3 mph but according to my gps I was actually going more east with a down speed of less then 1 mph. It took a few minutes to figure out what was happening. I thought my gps was crapping out on me. first time in the 20+ years I've been fishing I've seen that.