Conesus lake

Hi all. I'm taking a trip to Conesus today, but I've never fished it before. Does anyone have any advice on where to go or what tactics to use for either bass or pike? I've read some published articles about spots, but I put more stock into info from other anglers who actually fish there. Also, does anyone know where a good bait shop is on the lake? Thanks!!

Hey Ray,

I'm no expert, but I have caught pike in the north end and along the east edge of the lake from mcpherson point north. Stick to the weed edges, casting various baits. I have caught pike on Conesus with everything from spinner baits to live minnows. I don't think there is a bait shop on the lake, one of the problems I've had in the past, but there is a small shop near by, although I don't know when they open or if their even still in business.

I hear the south end can produce as well, same tactics, troll, cast or drift, mainly along weed edges with stick baits, spinners or large minnow and float.

Hope it helps, I'm sure this is nothing spectacular in terms of advice, but hopefully it gives you a couple ideas. I'll be there Saturday morning and would like to hear how you make out, so please post a report if you've got time, and above all good luck!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm hearing that the water is still a bit chilly. One person told me the bass aren't even spawning yet, but I find that a little hard to believe. I'll give it a crack and let you know.

My Friday fishing report. We got in the water at about 5 pm and fished until dark. Our goal was to not get skunked. We didn't get skunked, but didn't do very good either. We boated a 3 lb. largemouth trolling a crankbait in about 15' of water near a weed edge between the 2 points on the East side just north of the launch. On the funny side, we also landed a SUNFISH on a crankbait half his size. Then at about dusk we lost a 2 lb largemouth at the boat.

Having NEVER been on the lake before, we spent some time exploring it. We didn't like the North end at all because it was just so shallow with not a lot of weed cover. Maybe by summer there'll be some growth. We liked the South end and really liked the East side weed lines. The only problem was that we didn't know the weedlines and kept running into them by accident.

Water temp was about 67-69 degrees. A lot warmer than I was expecting. I would still love to hear more advice on how to fish it. We didn't use most of our shiners. Mainly trolled with cranks. Threw A LOT of topwater lures at the end of the night, but nothing at all (which totally mystified me).

No offense to anyone, but I couldn't help but keep saying "This ain't Canada". Which is where I do most of my fishing. Up there I would sell my boat after that kind of day. Of course, I believe it takes a lot more skill to catch fish down here. Makes me realize just how much I DON'T know. I had fun though and hope to try it again soon.

don't feel bad...conesus is notorious for having a massive forage base and thus some very well fed fish. the trick is figuring out what they want and then how to make them eat when they're already stuffed to the gills. the upside is that that forage makes for some real lunkers unlike honeoye which is full of stunted clones

it can really be a feast or famine proposition-no pun intended!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thanks for all the info guys! Love the pics. Do you guys suppose Canandaigua is similar to Conesus? One thing that's been confusing me are the bass. I assume they are in post spawn right now. If I'm not mistaking, aren't the males guarding the nests? And once the females spawn, don't they pretty much not eat for a while? I'm trying to figure out the pattern. When bass fishing right now, should you really only target the guarding males in shallow or will the females hit also?

Bob, thats not like you!!! :o

don't feel too bad...all the folks I chatted with and the folks they chatted with said it was almost zero bite out there today at least. With that said, my buddy managed a good sized pike and one similar sized follow early, then the bite tanked for rest of the morning; but a new day dawned at noon :clap: when I got slimed with the familiar muskie scent. :yes:

56840327.th.jpg

well, that rounds out the 'triple crown' for me- been huntin' conesus (and otisco) a while for that tiger. glad it finally paid off 8)

well done....they sure are purrty.Got a couple a few weeks ago there.They were my 1st as well.U heading for chautauqua sat??Looks like crappy weather-(excellent).Should be good.I`m phyched,Just rigged my boat with a bimini(tarp and tent poles)for wet weather.Rain or shine...the hunt is ONNNN

98685350.th.jpg

Bob, nice fish!

I cant believe I'm saying this, but its not looking like Chaut is in the cards for me this weekend :( My usual partner (the one with me on Seneca when we saw you) just added a new baby to the family 2 months ago, so getting him out is tough, overnight is next to impossible and that is one brutal day trip, especially flying solo.

Sooo...I think I'm looking at Waneta and a fight with the bass tournament they have there that day :@ .

good call on the, er... bimini... :D I think I'll have to throw mine on unless the forecast changes.