Trolling Bags vs. Plates

A 18' boat would do great with buckets. First they are cheap to try for the first time. And they float when you do neutral drops if fishing alone.

Do not forget to put the small whole in the bottom of bucket.

Jerry

REBEL

A 18' boat would do great with buckets. First they are cheap to try for the first time. And they float when you do neutral drops if fishing alone.

Do not forget to put the small whole in the bottom of bucket.

Jerry

REBEL

I've got two of them on my boat. I took a hole saw for doorknobs and drilled a hole in two sides of the bucket. This keeps them from spinning all the time. I put the holes about 2 inches from the bottom. They work great.

Cool idea Musky. Like you my boat is smaller, I'm sure when not in use they would be great garbage cans with bags. Not very good pee buckets though :lol::lol: I troll with a kicker also. - Mick

i got hollard at before but go to ebay look for kayak sea anchors 18 " cost like 11.00 bucks my first one lasted three years would of lasted longer with the PROPER knot some where in seneca now still in great shape they sink pretty fast :shock: ya can roll it up and put it in your pocket if ya want, might even impress the locals at the BLACK NORTH INN unless ya didnt dry it first

Sk’2

I also run an 18 ft’r with an outboard. I have an engine/water well & storage compartment that block off access to the very back of the boat. That with the riggers, engine, and probes makes the side of the boat the easiest area to land a fish. Therefore when I want to go real slow I use the old 5 gal plastic bucket. I use a pulley/harness like you would with a water skier, to keep it directly behind the engine at all times.

As Jerry said it does float. In addition it won’t turn your boat when fishing alone & landing a fish so I don’t have to go to neutral. I have about a dozen 5/8â€Â

I get a tow harness for water skiing, the self-centering type, a 5 gal. bucket, drill some holes in it, replace the buckets' handle with rope, add a swivel to the rope, hook it all together to the u-bolts already on the stern, that may just be the low budget solution!

Tom,

Thanks!!!! I forgot to say replace handle with rope(very important tipp-dry wallers nightmare)

You 2 are both from rochester AND fish alone sometimes :?: :?: :?: :idea:

If you 2 got together that would leave more buckets out there on the free market for musky bob and ray k to wear on their heads around the house or something :lol:

Jerry

REBEL

two concerns 1. safty ,if ya ever put it in reverse ya could wrap your prop i know were all to smart to do that but sometimes sh@@ happens ,2 . a king swimming through or into it is probly a free one with some added tackle in his lips....ok 3 my boat is only 22ft so i need every inch of space dont need to be walking around my boat with a 5 gal bucket on my foot.... :$

SK’2 – That’s basically it. Those transom eyebolts are a heck of a lot stronger than any deck cleat. You really don’t need the swivel/pulley if you don’t want it. The bucket won’t be zipping across the wake like a skier & will move just rope on rope. You really don’t have to buy a ski harness. Just tie a couple of those clamp/clip/hooks (like you have on the cable/strap on your trailer) on a piece of rope. Initially, the way I got the length was to set it up on the boat out of the water. Length is right when rope will clear the motor housing but won’t fall below the cavitation plate. I think mine is 3/8â€Â

I guess I'll be the oddball... I've run a plate on my last three boats and have never had a problem. I did bend a plate years ago by taking off with it down, but no damage done. The plate I run now is spring hinged in the center so it flips up as you throttle up, letting you run in a "lope" with the plate still down. Handling has never been a problem.. even with auto-pilot! Here's a link to the one I run. If you do decide on bags.. Amish Outfitters are the best I've seen.

http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products ... roller.htm

Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the bucket today. Worked pretty good. I think I've got too many holes in it. I think what I'm going to do is get a couple of plugs & start plugging holes unitl I find the right amount & then replace the bucket.

Thanks to all for the advice!