Cayuga 6/6

Took my 4 year old son Benjamin and my Dad Jim out for a couple of hours on Saturday. We left Myers at 6:30am in a thick fog. We decided not to run in the fog so we set up right out front and trolled up the East side to Ross point and picked up a decent Laker in 100 FOW on a Green Dot Spinny/Sigg's White Crinkle fly fished off a Walker Deeper Diver out 210' on a #2 setting. We found a few hooks and some bait on the East side but decided to cut across the lake and troll back down past Taughannock to see if it was any better over there. Bad move as there was nothing to speak of on the screen over there. We came back across the lake at Myers and had a couple of downrigger rods pulling DW SS Gator and Die Hard spoons fire right out front again but didn't end up boating any of those fish. Benjamin was in the mood to head home so we called it a morning at about 9am and headed in for the day. Had we gotten out a bit later with no fog I wanted to run up past the Boy Scout Camp and give it a shot from there north. Any word on how guys did up that way yesterday?

DSC00417.jpg

Well, I live down here! ;)

Truth be told, my travel schedule for work has gotten very, very hectic and I've been gone a few nights/week for work for several months now and the travel is just going to continue for the foreseeable future. I miss my family (my boys are 6 and 4) and I just can't keep up the schedule of being gone so much....something had to give. For example, I leave in about an hour for a week in FL on business. The week after that I'll be in MA and CT for a few days. :( Given that my charter schedule the rest of the season is pretty light, I decided to move the boat to Cayuga Lake (5 mins from my house) so that I could be at home with my family on the weekends rather than running up to Point Breeze after being gone all week long.....family has to come before fishing. If I was single and didn't have kids, or lived a lot closer to the big lake than I do, there's no way I'd give up the Big Lake. But I'm not single and my family is my top priority. Luckily I have some really great friends up on Lake Ontario who have offered to let me run my charters on their boats. Thanks Rick, Jerry, and Andy. Your generosity has allowed me to be able to commit some more time where it really needs to be spent...at home with my wife and kids.

So there you have it. We'll be up on Lake Ontario a few more times this season to run my remaining charters and maybe even for a Pro-Am. I plan to be able to get back up to Ontario on a regular basis again when life allows. For now, feel free to look us up...we're slipped at Finger Lakes Marine Service at Myers Point. I'm also going to try to be available this summer for a few Cayuga Lake charters if it fits into my schedule.

Nice fish Billy, The Fishing was ok up North on the 6th, I had a trip we put some nice Lakers in the boat. It was slow in the morning but from 9am to 11 we put ten lakers in the boat. I could see the fog down South we didnt have it up North, we fished Deans Cove to Long Point.

Fished east side 6/6 trolled from south tip to cargill, then up near milliken. Put a nice perch in the boat early in 15 fow with a rainbow rapala, then had a few releases in deeper water - but nothing in the boat :( . Really nice day on the water though...marked several nice bait balls on the trip.

Bill, I don't know you at all but I can say w/ out a doubt you have your priorities straight!

We did T-Falls to Tee Pee, then worked south of AES to Atwater , then Kidders to about 1 mile past Sheldrake. Whacked a lot of lakers on the wires(220-240 over 200-250 FOW and deep rigger(100 over 115 FOW). The spoon bite up higher was not very consistent(2 browns, 1 LL boated - dropped a few as well). Tried down speeds from 1.8-2.3, tried lots of different spoon color patterns!

Ahh ............ to be single w/no responsibilities again. Costs too much money!!!

Sounds like a hectic work schedule and good to see family coming first, not a lot that around anymore unfortunately.

You get a new rig to haul that boat around?

DAN

You sure got your priorities straight! :yes::yes: I'm sure your boys are happy to be spending the time with you. Enjoy them as much as you can, for they do grow up quick! Good luck at Cayuga!

Shawn

I had it towed professionally. I'd like to find a trailer for it so that I can tow it myself. If anyone runs across a used trailer that looks like it'll handle an 11' beam and 9,000 lbs please let me know! ;)

Good for you! I can definately relate! I have girls ages 5, 4, and 1 1/2 so I know what that is all about!

A friend of mine lives on the West side north of Dean's Cove and caught a real nice brown (Didn't weigh it but took a pic before releasing it) in 25 FOW trolling a silver/copper belly flutter spoon 10 down on the rigger. I've heard of a few rainbow up that way on some Blue/SilverYozuri sticks as well. I haven't hit Cayuga yet this year myself.

Don't worry...pretty soon those boys will be First mates! (Of course they'll be looking for a cut!)

Good for you! I can definately relate! I have girls ages 5, 4, and 1 1/2 so I know what that is all about!

3 girls :o:o - I thought I had it bad w/two (7 and 4). Just kidding, they are teaching there 2 yr old brother how to fish.

DAN