canandaigua derby

We started sat morning on the west side just south of the condos. All together we put 10 fish in the boat with the biggest being a 9.46 lb laker (on derby certified scales)!! That's when I found out my "digital" scales are if fact incorrect, that same fished weighed 9.58 on on our scales! We boated 4 lakers 4 bows (biggest being a 5.78 lber) a freaking perch and a pickerel. As you can see in the picture "cheers" showed me how to properly hold a fish so it looks bigger. If you hold it out and by the belly it does add size but when you try not to handle the fish and just snap a pic so you can release it unharmed it will in fact look smaller to the untrained eye. Sunday was more of the same. Started south of the condos and stayed on the west side. We boated 7 fish and lost a couple at the back of the boat. Good mix of lakers and bows. The bows seem to be in very good health as every one we caught had big bellies. Congrats to all the guys who placed fish :)

cid__0606091831.jpg

cid__0606091321.jpg

fished the north end by german bros. landed 5 all small lakers pulling copper on sat ....sun same story real slow early only one pike on the dipsy so we switched up and went perch fishing to get some action, the one bright spot of the weekend was this 18" smallie with 5 perch, Bass was released prompty after photo opp

36047121.th.jpg

FLXTroutman and I fished 0600 - 1400 south end as well. Not a single hook-up. We threw everything he had in the boat at them, no takers. Beautiful day, and I know that the derby fee went to a good cause. Heard that there were 440 + entrants in the derby!

Got out with bretter on Saturday aboard "Little Brown" (Brown Starcraft). Boated 5 lakers but biggest was 5 1/2 on the scales. We fished the north end in front of German Bros most fish came off the dipseys out 150-180 over 80 FOW White flasher/Fly did the best...Didn't make it out Sunday.

My youngest son an I got out about 1:30pm Saturday. Fished the North end. Marked many fish in the top 20 ft of water, but could not get them to bite. We tried flat lines, riggers and seth green rig. I believe planner boards may have worked. The boat must have been spooking them. We eventually tried pulling copper and caught 3 average lakers. Sunday was slow, just 2 lakers on copper and an old wire fishing rod and reel with cow bells I caught off the bottom.

Georged

we'll I must have a horseshoe around my neck this year. fished in three derbies and have 2 seconds and now a first! We caught the biggest brown of the derby 10.48. Caught him first this thing Sat at 6am on the north end. people must of thought we were crazy, because there was alot of high fives and hooting going on! we fished the north end all weekend with 12 fish and 3 lost on Sat, with one being another brown very close in size to the one landed. this fish charged the boat after jumping 4 times, turned west, ripped line off the reel, jumped at about 20 ft behind the boat, and spit the lure at us. ;( we fished Sun with 2 caught, 3 lost and 1 on till 50ft behind boat and then the leader broke. not a bad derby but the fishing was slower than usual. my buddy from high got second with a laker 12.86.

17468321.th.jpg

btw the kid in the picture with laker was on the boat when his dad caught that 18lber. I saw pics, awesome fish!

57482182.th.jpg

believe it or not, the brown came on a tamiron spoon with an 1oz snap weight in 90-100fow, which was the same set and lure that we caught the rainbow in the seneca derby. (it's my new favorite lure!) we actually fished deeper due the boat traffic, btw the fisherman in this derby were the most inconsiderate out of all the derbies I've ever fished in! We stayed in about 80-120 fow, lakers in the bottom 20 with sd and flies. browns came on the top. No rainbows this year, we were trolling to slow I think. I put a new distributor in my boat and adjusted the timing myself and I've got the boat to idle slow enough w/out having to use the happytroller, but is faster than i was trolling last year. we have been running about 1.8-2.2. I really think we should of slowed to 1.1-1.4 and i think we could have got a few more lakers. FLX i think the good fishing on this lake has pasted us by. in past years the last 2 weeks of may and the first week of june is usually the best, for me at least. typically between those weeks you will have 20+ fish days often. this lake gets overused by boaters and the fish move deep. dont get me wrong we still do good, but you can only fish till about 10 on the weekends. need to play hooky and go during the week! if your new to the lake let me know, I know the lake well and its got tough contours in close, easy to lose gear, but due to experience I've found most of them!

i agree with troller some of the worst fishing courtesy i have seen was this past weekend. I have never been cut off and blocked in so much in my life i hope it was nobody from this forum. next year ill have to bring tree trimmers to cut off some peoples boards :rofl:

I have only fished the lake for the last 5 years. I actually do quite well, better when I bring out other people, like my family.

August is a great month for me. I would like to check out your set ups though, cheers :beer:

We got cut off alot this year more than normal. It seemed like less traffic too. I don't understand. We try not to run boards unless we are alone. Too many problems. Congrats Troller. Those are some nice fish. It should look nice on the wall. If you don't mind I would like to use your pic on the website for next year. Let me know. Also if anyone knows who has a pic of the rainbow and laker it would be nice to have.

Hey cdgn troller I run a 85 Sea Ray, she stays at Smith Boys at the south end.

If you can play hooky on Monday's that is one of my days off, I would welcome you aboard anytime.

More people = more rods in the water. I work some Saturdays but Sunday and Mondays are days off.

DSCN2863.jpg