Lead core reel frustration!!

I posted a question about a thumper rod earlier in the week. I went to Gander with all intentions of buying one, but could not find the right combo in stock. Either the rods were too long or the LC reels were to small. The would not let me swap out to make the right combo. Long story short I bought the Daiwa LC47 thinking I would use it for a lead core reel. I used 125 yds of 30lb braid for backing and 15lb lead core line and I could barely fit it all on the reel. I still have yet to put 50yds or flourocarbon for a leader. If I let it all out while trolling on the water and reel it back in should it tighten up or should I look at a different reel to handle this? I still need a thumper to complete my fishing arsenal so I am planning on buying one more rod and reel before the year is out.

If you're looking for a leadcore reel that'll handle 10 colors of 27lb lead, 30lb Power Pro backing, and 50' of leader you'll need to step up in size from the SG47LCA. We run the Daiwa Accudepth Plus in 57 size and it fits 10 colors perfectly.

Unfortunately Gander only has the Daiwa 47 as their biggest size. I thought that it would accomodate everything (backing,leadcore,leader). I bought a GM reel a day earlier only to return it today to swap out for the Daiwa. I'll be up Lake O next Thursday and may have to make the buy at Fat Nancy's ,Woody's, or Jon's LSR shop. I just wanted to take care of it before I headed north next week. I just want to get out and fish. I was only out one day this year and want to start catching some nice fish. I will be at Selkirk shores from Thursday until Sunday morning with my son and a few buddies if anyone one wants to stop by camp. We'll have some blue lights on ice and you"re more than welcome. Thanks for the feed back.

Yeah, you need to go bigger, penn 330, Diawa 57, Shimano 700, or a 15 tld will work. Also Okuma makes a sweet lever drag that will hold it check out their website.

My fav over the years for leadcore has been the Shimano 15 tld, sweet fast reel. Not a bad price.

CC

I'll have to check when I get into town on Thursday. Gander Mtn. is the closest source down my way and their selection is pretty week compared to most shops in the Pulaski area. Thanks for the info guys!

I recently added some leadcore to my rods. I loaded 2 ADP 57's with 300 yd of 30# PP, 100' of 30# Big Game for snap weights and/or extra passes and no fleas, 10 colors of 27#, and 50 feet of flouro and it filled them perfect. I also set up 2 ADP 47's with 300 yd of 30# PP, 5 colors, and 50' flouro and they are full.